Atlanta Grill Comany is now carrying the Lavatools Javelin instant read thermometers.  Both of these thermometers are extremely fast and accurate.  I wanted to make this short video to show you how fast and accurate they are.

https://atlantagrillcompany.com/collections/thermometers-probes/lavatools

To conduct this test I set up a simple water bath using my sous vide circulator so I could ensure that my water was at a perfect temperature.  I chose to do this test at 155°F because I believe that MOST uses of these thermometers would be to measure temparatures between 100-200°F with most of those measurements being specifically between 125-165°F. I used a hand-held stopwatch to time the test.  You can hear that watch beeping as I start and stop the timer in the video.  

Don't guess at when you meat is ready.  KNOW when it's ready by using an instant read thermometer!  

#Lavatools #AtlantaGrillCompany

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

@Charcoal AddictI have a MK4 also but as far as I'm concerned, I am just as happy with this Javelin Pro.  There are also a couple even cheaper that I'm quite happy wtih as well that are just as fast as the MK4.

The Javlin appears to be a huge improvement over the Maverick PT-100.  The biggest struggle with the Maverick was keeping it clean.  

Even with a Toothbrush, it’s hard to scrub out every crevice in the PT-100. 

I have a older Thermapen without a backlight.  The only possible concern I have with the Javalin Pro is reliability.  Time will tell. 

The build quality is almost on par with the Thermapen.  The Javalin pro is much more solidly built than the Maverick PT 100.  The probe is solid on the Javalin & it doesn’t wobble like the Maverick did.

I would have preferred AAA over 2032 batteries.  That’s minor.  I would have preferred AAA batteries over the hole in the back to hang it on a hook.  

@Charcoal Addict

Here's a $30 model that is as fast as the thermapen:

https://buythermopro.com/product/thermopro-tp19-waterproof-digital-meat-thermometer/

This one uses a single AAA.  It's also probably not as durable as the Thermapen but 3 of them should out last one of the MK4 models :)

On 11/24/2020 at 8:19 AM, John Setzler said:

@Charcoal Addict

Here's a $30 model that is as fast as the thermapen:

https://buythermopro.com/product/thermopro-tp19-waterproof-digital-meat-thermometer/

This one uses a single AAA.  It's also probably not as durable as the Thermapen but 3 of them should out last one of the MK4 models :)

We’ll see how things work out with the New Lavaworks.  It’s actually better than the dead Maverick PT-100 it replaced.