My great local butcher shop (https://www.hirschsmeats.com) had beef ribs on sale this week, so got some yesterday to smoke.

IMG_9022.thumb.jpeg.c52486669d2e7edb1968081d24f1e881.jpegIMG_9023.thumb.jpeg.b6ec5d964ac6c6e71693fcf01b74510e.jpeg

Seasoned them up with Holy Cow (Meat Church) and Hard Core Carnivore Black rub and then put on the Kamado (225-250) for about 5 1/2 hours.

IMG_9024.thumb.jpeg.43d7ec29ab3a527804ec280b926cf2d1.jpegIMG_9027.thumb.jpeg.af923583ed90682d0c5624ea18698714.jpeg

Turned out great ... and the Mrs. likes 'em!

FullSizeRender-1.thumb.jpeg.c917a76bd82ea268baac019dfe475fa8.jpegIMG_9036.thumb.jpeg.d3ffd8c325fa7058a538d5bdeb7936bf.jpegIMG_9037.thumb.jpeg.973b34807eb4ef67e6dc9b926f349981.jpeg

IMG_9030.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Wow nice job!  Those longer "plate rib" style beef ribs seem to be hard to come by up here in the northeast.  Even when going directly to a few local butchers they tend to not know what I'm talking about when I ask for them to be longer cut and not the usual 2-4 inches in length that I typically find.  

my post disappeared????? 

Anyway, looks great Edward!!! How much per pound? Looks like you like them at a steak consistency. I tried that way on my last cook and they were great. I think I still prefer cooking them until they reach the "You don't need teeth to eat my beef" stage. :-D

On 10/14/2020 at 1:56 PM, dylanm said:

Wow nice job!  Those longer "plate rib" style beef ribs seem to be hard to come by up here in the northeast.  Even when going directly to a few local butchers they tend to not know what I'm talking about when I ask for them to be longer cut and not the usual 2-4 inches in length that I typically find.  

It depends on where you are looking. Any good butcher should be able to order them in if nothing else. However, they make more money cutting them and in many cases, do not receive the entire slab. The USDA Institutional Meat Purchase Specification (IMPS)  of the plate ribs Edward cooked is: 123A beef plate short ribs. Giving that number to any real butcher ought to get you what you are looking for.

On 10/15/2020 at 11:35 PM, CentralTexBBQ said:

my post disappeared????? 

Anyway, looks great Edward!!! How much per pound? Looks like you like them at a steak consistency. I tried that way on my last cook and they were great. I think I still prefer cooking them until they reach the "You don't need teeth to eat my beef" stage. :-D

It depends on where you are looking. Any good butcher should be able to order them in if nothing else. However, they make more money cutting them and in many cases, do not receive the entire slab. The USDA Institutional Meat Purchase Specification (IMPS)  of the plate ribs Edward cooked is: 123A beef plate short ribs. Giving that number to any real butcher ought to get you what you are looking for.

Thanks!  

I got them for $6.99/lb (usually $8.99/lb when they have them at Hirsch's).  

Still a pretty expensive cook ('cause of paying for those big bones), but they were great (this was only the 2nd time I've done beef ribs).

Wow must have been beef ribs week at everyone’s house. I cut the ribs off prime rib roasts when I buy up in bulk for cutting ribeye steaks. on sale - usually around 5$/lb so I like to figure I get a couple free rib meals lol. These were done 3 hours unwrapped and 2 hours wrapped @ 250°. Like butter!

DAAC6A76-7E41-4756-B3D7-F2D265DED864.jpeg

6 hours ago, Edward Cook said:

Thanks!  

I got them for $6.99/lb (usually $8.99/lb when they have them at Hirsch's).  

Still a pretty expensive cook ('cause of paying for those big bones), but they were great (this was only the 2nd time I've done beef ribs).

You can't replace the taste that those bones give meat and, I personally think they don't weigh very much at all. I have been picking mine up from Restaurant Depot and they are a decent cut. John posted some a while back that put them to shame in terms of thickness but I can't beat the price because they are typically around $5.49 or so for Angus Choice.

Beef ribs week here in AZ too.  I did the ones John Posted about --  https://porterroad.com/ .  They were awesome Fred Flintstone brontosaurus ribs.   Would recommend.  Couple of observations.... 

1.  They were "flatter" than I thought they would be in the package.  I think the vacuum seal compresses them.  I was initially a little disappointed until I cooked them and they plumped up into a ridiculous looking piece of meet.

2. Porter road showed "out of stock" on the web page.  But they arranged a pre-order and they shipped a few days later.  Of note they told me it would be the next day but apparently the rep was mistaken because it was almost a week later.  Had to delay the cook a week.  Not a huge deal  and they did give me a discount code for next order. 

2.  I always think they will cook faster than they do  (like pork ribs).  But really its brisket on a stick and these were probably 5" think including the bone (once they drew up).  Mine were on for about almost 9 hours.  Spritzed with water every hour or so.  Wrapped in butcher paper after ~6 hours. Which brings me to...

3. They spend a looong time in the stall at 150-160.  Finally they creeeeped up to  180-185 but seemed like it was going to be a long while before they got to 195 -- which was what I  thought was the start probing temp.  They were probing like butter even though only 185  and I was afraid they were going to dry out.  So, I pulled and rested for 45 minutes while we had one more cocktail.

4.  They were unbelievably tender and  juicy. Even more beefier/smokier than brisket IMO.   Probably my favorite BBQ meal.  And this was by far my best result with them yet.  I think the meat was the diff and worth it. 

Sorry for no pics.  I suck at food pron.  

Also sorry for the thread jack... Yours look awesome Mr Cook.  Well done sir!