Mesh Gasket vs Rutland on Classic I

squatchout

I'm trying to decide between replacing my old worn out stock gasket with either a mesh one (this one) or the Rutland gasket. Both are thicker and so I would only replace the bottom gasket with either one of those options. Any comparison between the two for durability/longevity or anything else? I do use a Joetisserie occasionally too if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Mesh all day

The Rutland Gasket is not approved for use with food 

I run a mesh gasket on my BJ2 and after 3 years of regular pizza cooks and steak searing temps its still going strong 

Also, if you're planning on using a JT, having some form of gasket on the dome of your KJ could help prevent damage and make temp control a little easier 

Just my 2c  

I've been contemplating this myself.  When i do it, I'll be putting mine on the dome as there's less change of BBQ sauce or my grill brush damaging the gasket.  If you decide to do it, please update us and let us know how it went, especially with the Joetisserie.

Don't know if it helps but when KJ  changed to a mesh gasket on the classic II,they also added a locking latch on the grill. This could be because of the thickness of mesh gasket or the lack of dome weight due to the air hinge or both.

6 hours ago, len440 said:

Don't know if it helps but when KJ  changed to a mesh gasket on the classic II,they also added a locking latch on the grill. This could be because of the thickness of mesh gasket or the lack of dome weight due to the air hinge or both.

6 hours ago, BURGER MEISTER said:

Pretty sure the air hinge was the thing that necessitated the use of the latch.  Just the weight of the lid would have compressed the mesh gasket enough without the air hinge.

Yep

Without the weight of the dome to compress the gasket, a latch had to be implemented to ensure a decent seal between the dome and the base.

I've fitted mesh gaskets to both KJ 1s and BGEs and they work great 

Much better than felt and much safer/easier than Rutland 

• 5 months later...

I have been out of pocket for a while.   I have one of the early KJ Classics - color Black.   Back in late 2017, I was waiting for the Mesh to come out - it was stated that it would retrofit to any existing KJ.   Is that the case?

I now need a gasket replacement - with the KJ Mesh work or should I be looking at secondary market? 

I installed the mesh gasket on my Classic one and have had it for over a year now and now issues with the seal, the weight of the dome works just fine, no latch needed IMO

IMG_5413.JPEG

Thank you, JaxxQ.  I dug up some other threads and have been reading through.   Did you have to do any adjustments on your hinge config?    Did you use the Permatex Copper Seal or just go with the adhesive that comes on the gaskets?

When I installed mine I was also replacing the Base so I needed to remove the hinge and bands anyway, When I put it back together it went back the same way so I dont think you need to do any special changes and I did use permatex on the back where the seem is only

I had to upgrade to the mesh gasket when I installed the new hinge on my BJ 1. The new hinge will not work without the thickness of the mesh gasket. I would definitely go for the mesh gasket, it's worth the extra cost, especially if you need a new hinge in the future.