Which accessories to start off with??

Chief57

Hi guys (and gals!),

Just awaiting my KJ Classic II but have not yet ordered any accessories.  It comes with the standard package but I am unsure which griddle plates (and anything else)to order and would appreciate your advice for a newbie.  The pizza stone is part of the package but what, in your opinions, should I order as a necessity first?  I don't want to spend too much as it's Autumn here in UK and soon Winter so the JoeRotissierie (best part of £250) can wait a little while. Wife doesn't eat meat but loves fish and veggies so thought I could a separate griddle? Grateful for your advice please.  Thanks.

Ash basket

Pizza stone!  

A good digital thermometer (I like my Thermoworks Thermapen - it's a bit more but I also think it's a bit better)

Good gloves

That's about it.  Gear for the KJ will come as you identify the need through playing with it.  I'd say get your charcoal and start cooking...take 'gadget money' and put it into some food experimentation.  Do things that you want to do even if the result really isn't for dinner.....try chicken wings....make a curry - oh wait....now you need some good cast iron.....grin.,

Congratulations on your purchase - welcome here, look around and have fun.  P.S.  John's put together a really good "John's Really Right Stuff" list...

2 hours ago, chickenwings said:

Congratulations on your purchase - welcome here, look around and have fun.  P.S.  John's put together a really good "John's Really Right Stuff" list...

Definitely go check that out.  You'll find some gnarled old veterans of kamado cooking who claim they can control temps on their cookers for 3 days without touching the vents.  I find some of that highly suspect, but for the rest of us who like to sleep without having to go check on temps get a temp controller.  They might seem pricey, but 100s of long cooks later you'll be glad you got one.

Definitely a good thermometer set up. An instant read one such as the Thermapen is a "must have" (you can get cheap versions) and a remote thermometer with multiple probes is a boon as well. The Rolls-Royce option is the Fireboard 2 which is a 6 probe wifi/bluetooth unit with excellent app support. You can always add a fan to it at a later date and have a fully fledged controller set up. If you do plan to do this in the future, then it's better to buy the "Drive" version up front.

Also a couple of pairs of thick welding gloves are a neccessity. You will be handling hot stuff.

Other than that, a cast iron half moon griddle is a really nice thing to have. It take things like burgers to the next level and can also be used for fish, veggies etc...

Crispy skin salmon and asparagus cooked on the griddle is a lovely and simple meal to show off with!

And as you are in the UK like me, I would recommend a cover to keep the rain off during the winter. The KJ one will be expensive, but you can get cheap versions on eBay.

Finally - and it's not an accessory - but also make sure you have a good supply of high quality lump wood charcoal. I can highly recommend buying from Big K's website and having it delivered to your door. 

https://bigkproducts.co.uk/range/professional/

I use their Dura and Flama restaurant grade versions. Dura (big lumps) is probably the best bet for the Kamado, unless you regularly only stack your firebox on one side with coal, in which case the Flama (sticks) is excellent. If you order two 15Kg bags, delivery is free.

• instant read thermometer
  • low & slow meat probes
  • fabric gloves for handling hot metal
  • rubber gloves for handling hot meat
  • lots of charcoal and smoking wood

That's pretty much all I bought. I do have my eye on some other stuff.

I might get a temperature controller eventually, but I wanted to get good at controlling it with just vents at first.

On 10/21/2020 at 4:08 AM, adm said:

... a remote thermometer with multiple probes ...

No. 1 on my list. Nothing else lets you walk away...

Strongly recommend Thermoworks products. Every cook needs an instant read thermometer, but they're less useful than remotes because you have to open the lid. 

Again, thank you all so much guys....really useful advice.  I've got the gloves, the half moon grate is now on order as is the ash basket.  Just looking for a stainless steel griddle and a thermometer.

I've had a BBQ table built (see below) and once I get the KJ, I've found a place that will make a waterproof cover (certainly need it for UK weather!!) at a reasonable price.  Granite top to go on top and then I'm ready!!

519871CF-AF04-4889-89C1-DC752735CEB5_1_105_c.jpeg

18 hours ago, Chief57 said:

Again, thank you all so much guys....really useful advice.  I've got the gloves, the half moon grate is now on order as is the ash basket.  Just looking for a stainless steel griddle and a thermometer.

I've had a BBQ table built (see below) and once I get the KJ, I've found a place that will make a waterproof cover (certainly need it for UK weather!!) at a reasonable price.  Granite top to go on top and then I'm ready!!

519871CF-AF04-4889-89C1-DC752735CEB5_1_105_c.jpeg

That table looks great, where did you get it from?

Thanks, I managed to get it from a friend who made it for his BGE.  Made from solid fencing posts.  Rubbed down, and given 3 coats of yacht varnish.  Before I got this, I was about to purchase this from Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/707934484/kamado-grill-table-grill-table-for-green?ref=shop_home_active_2&crt=1

He makes them to order so you can choose colour, which side etc.  Very reasonable I thought.

On 10/23/2020 at 5:19 PM, Chief57 said:

Thanks, I managed to get it from a friend who made it for his BGE.  Made from solid fencing posts.  Rubbed down, and given 3 coats of yacht varnish.  Before I got this, I was about to purchase this from Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/707934484/kamado-grill-table-grill-table-for-green?ref=shop_home_active_2&crt=1

He makes them to order so you can choose colour, which side etc.  Very reasonable I thought.

Those do look very good indeed. Added to my potential "expensive things I don't really need" list....