Mrs skreef's New Bicycle

ckreef

When the pandemic hit and all the shelter in place orders went out, toilet paper flew off the shelves. I didn't know it at the time but along with toilet paper there was a run on bicycles. This summer we wanted to get Mrs skreef a nice beach cruiser style bicycle but all the nice ones were "out of stock" or "on backorder". I kept looking and eventually found a custom bicycle shop (Vivelo Bicycles) in Miami that was still filling orders but with a bit of a delay. 

We decided to buy one of their fully customized LaDonna bikes. Mrs skreef configured her colors and options then the long wait began. 8 weeks later it finally arrived. Yay! 

Both her bicycle and mine have Nexus 7 speed internal geared rear hubs. Hers is a twist grip shifter while mine has a vintage Schwinn Stingray suicide shifter. 

Time to go riding. 

vivelonew.thumb.jpg.2709b5809c8b91cfa58f42e8b14b1555.jpg

vivelonew2.thumb.jpg.43e8be51cc3911728d0912e7053c742b.jpg

Smart move buying from Vivelo. Have done business with them 2 out of the last 3 years. Bought my wife and niece the same model as your wifes. The rim color on your wifes bike is about the color of their store front at least 2 years ago.

Different type bike but as a camper you most likely see a grunch of folding bikes. Not the best of the folders like a Tern but Miami bikes makes a decent cheap folder.

Me I ride recumbents have 3 SWB and 1 tadpole trike. I quit riding "upwrong's" 6 years ago.

BTW your new rides look schweeet!!#

Very pleased we bought from them. High quality and a nice ride for Mrs skreef. A 7 speed hub was a must have (to match my hub) and their bikes had that option. 

As for my ride I've had it for about 16 years now. Kept in the house the whole time so it's in like new condition. It was custom built from a fairly famous custom bike builder from Canada that is no longer in business. 

We plan on taking them camping, I just need to figure out the best way to transport my extra long ride. I'll have that figured out before we take our November trip. 

Take a look at 1UP racks. When a buddy and I did PAW's (Pedal Across Wisconsin) 5 years ago I did the ride on a highly customized SWB RAN's F5 (it will actually fit in a suitcase) and my buddy did the ride on a LWB recumbent (Ti Rush). I carried both bikes on the 1UP. Great rack. Wished they made one for my Catrike. I carry that in the bed of the pickup or on a Hollywood rack that allows me to carry the trike and 1 bike.

So many great Canadian bikes that are no longer made. Gardin, Vini, Mariposa, Miele and Cyclops to name just a few.  What did you have?

I personally ride a Specialized Diverge these days but owned a CCM followed by a Torpado Superlight and even a Peugeot at one point.

I am a UCI/OCA licensed track racing official.  Whilst everybody is going higher and higher tech (carbon fibre everything), it’s always refreshing to see one racer who shows up at events onboard perfectly maintained, classic 1970’s and ‘80’s steel frame bikes. He has about a dozen.  I was a timer at an hour record attempt by Canadian Legend Giuseppe Marinoni who at age 80, rode a steel frame bike that he built for the 1984 Olympics. It weighed probably 3x what one of his carbon bikes would have.  

It’s amazing to see how these works of art have evolved over the years!  Your new bikes are just that,  works of art!

6 hours ago, JeffieBoy said:

So many great Canadian bikes that are no longer made. Gardin, Vini, Mariposa, Miele and Cyclops to name just a few.  What did you have?

It is a Jakz Addict. My bike was the first time he put a geared hub on one of his bikes, first time he put a kickstand on, and he stretched it an extra 2" longer to better accommodate my 6' 1" height. Some time ago he (Jay) quit building bikes and sold the rights to his frame designs to a German builder who I don't believe ever built anymore. It's a shame as he was a pioneer in radical chopper/stretched bicycles. 

Nice looking bikes. However, the color coordination between the bike and Mrs. @skreef is a bit unsettling... :rofl:

Lol....that is the idea.... Don't want no one running over me. Want to be seen.  Wanted it to just pop with color.  Coarse I'm a matchy kind of girl lol..... I also have one in storage I bought years ago (just a Walmart bike) but @ckreeftold me my bike needs to be a "kewl bike" to ride next to his bike ..:roll:

2 hours ago, len440 said:

All you need is one of those ching ching ching bells on the handle bars

Cool bikes 

Funny you say that. I actually bought 2 nice handle bar bells. Went to install them yesterday and wasn't happy with them so now they sit on the desk at home. We'll revisit that idea sometime in the near future. 

I guess a clown horn would sort of blow the image - LOL