I have a PK original that is about 13 yrs old. Love the grill and pair it with a Carson Rodizio if I get the rotiserie urge. The grill is pretty impervious to the elements which is nice living on the coast. I know there are some folks on here that have the PK360 so they can address that cooker. I do know the PK360 is made in China now and the original is still made in the USA.

I am pretty sure at some point if you go the PK route you will want to increase your grate space with one of their grid extenders. The answer is DON'T. My opinion (which means zilch) PK's offerings are cheaply made for the price which is sad and yes I bought them. Look at Hastybakes offerings for grid extenders before you make the leap. Both fit the PK original, are better made, a tad larger, and way more sturdy. I stumbled into Hastbakes offerings after my wife bought the Gourmet 257.

I do think the PK would compliment your Big Joe. If you are willing to spend PK money recommend you look at the Hastybake offerings that adjustable fire box is sweet and/or the Weber kettles and then grab an SNS.

I was strongly considering one, but I wanted one grill to be my "everything" cooker and I don't think it is large enough for my needs (multiple racks of ribs, brisket etc).  If I had room for a second one for "daily" cooking, it would be pretty well top of the list....

@GeboIn the PK I have used briquettes, charlogs (B&B product which is like the old slurry lump you used to be able to buy), lump, and coconut briquettes which you can also use in the kamado.

In the Hastybake I use briquettes, charlogs and lump. Depends on cook and at times I use a combo.

In my kettle I use briquettes only but skads of folks use lump.

2 hours ago, Gebo said:

What made you choose the TX over the Original?

The only difference between the two is the cart. I got the TX because the cart folds up for travel purposes. I've never travelled with it though. As far as charcoal goes I have only used briqs. I use my PK as a grill 99% of the time. I have other cookers that handle the smoking duties. Back in March I found a good deal on cheap Royal Oak briqs so I bought 1000lbs. 

I use a veggie basket to hold my coals and I go through about 1/2 a chimney per cook. The briqs were cheap in cost and low quality, but they serve their purpose and I have enough fuel for at least a year. 

Briquets will leave more ash than lump and with the PK which you would have to either vac or turn it upside down, less would be better I think.  I became a lump convert about 10 years ago and never looked back.  Yeh, it's more expensive but I think it's worth it.  And I really like this thread because I also have been smitten by the PKGO for camping and have many questions.  Hope they get answered here.:-D  Hopefully my local goto joint will get one soon because I'm a touchy-feely sorta guy and I like to touchy-feel before I buy.