Lump or Briquets?

I know to use Lump in my KJ.  If I decide to purchase a PK or Weber grill just to grill steaks, HB, HD, etc, do I still use Lump or should I use  briquets?  It seems

for grilling most people (according to YouTube) are using  briquets.   If so, how do I determine what is the "best"  briquet?

- I ditched Kingsford years ago. Could not stand the off putting smoke when lighting it anymore.

- Presently I am a big fan of B&B briquettes and there Charlogs.

- I have burned through 1 bag of Jealous Devil briquettes and am impressed with everything about the product but the price. 

- If you want a nice clean burning fire get yourself some Napoleon Coconut Briquttes off Amazon or Blazing Coconut Briquettes off Amazon. These are not ordinary briquttes they are extruded about 6 inches long, last along time. Note these are bit more work to get lit.

- If your intent is to get back in the charcoal game its a shame Weber pulled the plug on there briquettes. They were a great product. There is an ACE hardware near me that has 4 bags of Weber briquettes on the shelf as of this morning. I eyeballed them while picking up my fall lawn order.

I prefer Kingsford briquettes for many reasons, especially in my PK360.  It's the only way to get a nice even layer of heat without a bunch of hot and cold spots.  Lump sucks in that setup.  

As for the best, meh... I feel about the same way there as I do with lump.  BEST is subjective until you do some testing of it like I did and discover that the BEST stuff ain't what everyone things it is.  You do NOT get what you pay for in most cases.  I haven't done any testing with briquettes.  They are cheap enough and I get no 'off putting' smoke from my Kingsford.  Briquettes require time to get ready before you can cook over them just like lump does.  When my briquettes are ready to cook there is little to no smoke showing and no odors short of left behind grease in my grill.  

Charcoal, just like the grills you use it in, has it's pecking order and primadonnas.  You can buy the workhorse stuff that has been around for years or you can buy the newer trendy stuff that costs a lot more.  It's your choice.

- You will not go wrong with either choice.

- I think the grate space sq/in difference is about 50 in favor of the 22 in Weber.

- Many more add ons for the weber. If your into rotis cooking its cheaper than going the rodizio route on the PK. If you have the rotis for the BJ then its of no significance.

- I have both grills and for steaks I prefer the PK. HOWEVER remember it is the cook not the cooker that wins hands down each and every time not the grill.

- I personally think the thick cast aluminum shell of the PK is pretty nice. Has great heat retention. Much more so in cold/chilly weather than the Weber.

- My 2 dislikes of the PK are: 

a. Cooking grate is right at the top of the bottom portion of the grill. There is no lip to catch any sloppy tong work.

b. Embers have the potential to drop out of bottom vent onto the shelf underneath. This is worth watching and easily mitigated with a disposable aluminum pan on bottom shelf.

- People seem to wank about cleaning the PK. It is a non issue to me. Yes ash clean out is easier on the Weber.

- Now is the PK worth the price? That is a decision only you can make. I will say this barring natural disaster the PK will be around along time. My sister has my dads old PK that he bought at the PX in Thailand at Udorn AB during the Vietnam War. Now it does not look as good as my 13 year old grill but still looks and cooks great. I will say the longest I have kept a kettle alive has been 31 years. Could have gone longer I just got tired of futzing with it and bought a new one.

- BTW the off putting smoke I talk about is at lighting the kingsford charcoal it's pretty well documented on the web.

- Concerning coal testing its been done a myriad of different way's by multiple folks check youtube.

I agree with most of what Vanole posted above....

I have had weber kettles.  I currently have a PK 360 and I did a walk-around demo of that grill here:

This grill is a good bit more expensive than the original version, but it does eliminate the potential of hot coals falling out of the bottom.  I absolutely LOVE this grill.  As for cleaning it out, see this video at the 2:03 mark.  I pull that cap off and use a paint brush to sweep ash out that hole to a bucket I have hanging on the back of the grill.  I leave a thin layer of ash in the bottom of my grill at all times.  I do not sweep it all out.  That ash keeps grease from dripping directly onto hot aluminum and burning in place... it makes it much easier to keep it clean.  

Now................

I am gonna be getting my grubbly little hands on this soon hopefully:

https://www.pkgrills.com/pkgo/

This grill is supposed to hit the streets in a couple weeks.  I am gonna be making some video content with this grill also.  Cooking for two, THIS might be a great option for you also.  I want it for that very reason and I want it because I think it would be a perfect grill for some of my road tripping.  

Len you are correct you can use lump in the PK with zero issues. Never had the problem John talks about with using lump vice briquettes in the PK. It's all about fire management. I do prefer briquettes or charlogs in it however. That may change soon my daughter just gave me a "Burn Shop" coal basket that may herd the briquettes or lump better. 

I use briquettes in my Pit Barrel and Weber GA 
Because I use lump for my BJ, I sometimes wind up with pieces too big for the GA and end up having to dig around in the bag by hand 

With Briquettes all being uniform, i just pour and go

That PKGo looks the business but, man, that price point is a killer 

I get why it costs so much, but i'm going to have to twist myself into a pretty decent knot in order to justify picking one up as a camping grill, especially when i already have a GA in shed 

• 6 months later...

Went away from briquettes when I got my 2017 KJ.

So what does anyone think about briquettes being better for long cooks less than 300 deg.?

Or the conjecture that briquettes may contain a high percentage of sawdust and wood debris in it?