Sorta Wearing Me Down

Gebo

I love my KJ.  I love cooking on it.  At least twice a week I use it and it was purchased in May  '19.

Here is where I am getting worn down.  Understand, KJ warranty has been slow but has not let me down

the first time.  And  believe me, they have had their chances.

Gasket had to be replaced, handle replaced, both side shelves replaced, cast iron moon replaced, thermometer replaced,

DoJoe Replaced, deflector plates replaced, iKamand probe replaced, etc.

Here's what is wearing me down.  I have to buy spares because I don't want to wait on my warranty returns.  Remember,

KJ has been rock solid with me.  My deflector plate split so I go to my dealer and he says he can't replace under warranty

so I pay him $80 cash for a new deflector.  Of course, I will get another one from KJ but it may be awhile.  KJ said they

were on back order.  Thank goodness I had purchased an iKamand Probe kit which allowed me to replace my "bad" probe

in the middle of a cook.

I have no plans on leaving but I am getting tired.  Maybe I am to blame? IDK?  Maybe I am expecting too high of quality? 

I am starting to look around.  I may commit adultery on my KJ.  But as in real life, divorce can be very expensive.

Just  venting a little.

I honestly can't blame you. So far, both Kamado Joe and bbqguys.com have done me right, but it has taken a long time, to the point of having to threaten to dispute the credit card charge for the initial grill purchase.

I'm motivated to stick with them at this point, considering I came out ahead in the whole fiasco. Not just "make it right", but truly ahead.

What's your situation right now? Is everything in working order? I think unless they're leaving you hanging in some way, you might want to tough it out a bit and see where it lands.

5 minutes ago, jtemple said:

I honestly can't blame you. So far, both Kamado Joe and bbqguys.com have done me right, but it has taken a long time, to the point of having to threaten to dispute the credit card charge for the initial grill purchase.

I'm motivated to stick with them at this point, considering I came out ahead in the whole fiasco. Not just "make it right", but truly ahead.

What's your situation right now? Is everything in working order? I think unless they're leaving you hanging in some way, you might want to tough it out a bit and see where it lands.

Nah, I'm still waiting on some parts they have promised to send.  Not a big deal.

The saving grace is my neighbor has the exact same set up as I do.  We can swap out if we aren't cooking.

Wealthy?  LOL!  Maybe if my son could strike a deal with Malaysia.

You'd probably need to make a little more than 40K/year to afford one of those.

But, they sure are sexy looking.  If you can call a Kamado sexy.  Well, at 63 I guess 

I can.:worship:

Edited by Gebo

3 hours ago, Gebo said:

I love my KJ.  I love cooking on it.  At least twice a week I use it and it was purchased in May  '19.

Here is where I am getting worn down.  Understand, KJ warranty has been slow but has not let me down

the first time.  And  believe me, they have had their chances.

Gasket had to be replaced, handle replaced, both side shelves replaced, cast iron moon replaced, thermometer replaced,

DoJoe Replaced, deflector plates replaced, iKamand probe replaced, etc.

Here's what is wearing me down.  I have to buy spares because I don't want to wait on my warranty returns.  Remember,

KJ has been rock solid with me.  My deflector plate split so I go to my dealer and he says he can't replace under warranty

so I pay him $80 cash for a new deflector.  Of course, I will get another one from KJ but it may be awhile.  KJ said they

were on back order.  Thank goodness I had purchased an iKamand Probe kit which allowed me to replace my "bad" probe

in the middle of a cook.

I have no plans on leaving but I am getting tired.  Maybe I am to blame? IDK?  Maybe I am expecting too high of quality? 

I am starting to look around.  I may commit adultery on my KJ.  But as in real life, divorce can be very expensive.

Just  venting a little.

I feel ya 

I've had my fair share of warranty issues with my BJ2 over the last few years 

Its been sorted every time by my local retailer but the dicking around that reporting the issue, waiting for the parts and then fitting them is getting old 

My latest issue is the black rubber on my castors has fallen and not the brakes don't work

I've got a new set coming under warranty but the mess around that fitting them to the grill will be really leaves a bad taste in my mouth, as I'll need to remove it from the nest in order to replace the wheels 

Taking my BJ out of its nest was something 'd hoped to not have to do with early in the piece and i can see something going wrong that wont be covered under warranty...

Couple with that the fact KJs production still seems to be catching up and you've got a lot of unhappy people here.

I know guys who put deposits down on Series 3 grills and were promised a 4 week delivery in August, now they're hearing Dec, maybe.

Not to mention most retailers here have no accessories in stock and dont know when they'll be resupplied 

Its a bit of a mess TBH

6 hours ago, Gebo said:

My deflector plate split so I go to my dealer and he says he can't replace under warranty so I pay him $80 cash for a new deflector.  Of course, I will get another one from KJ but it may be awhile.  KJ said they were on back order.

Yeah, I have given up on replacing ceramic deflectors - they only have a three year warranty, not lifetime like the rest of the ceramic parts. $80 a copy for a couple years use isn't cutting it in my book.

I bought a pair of half circle steel plates (1/4" thick) off fleabay last week, they should be arriving this week.

11 hours ago, John Setzler said:

What was wrong with your dojoe?

A bunch of the paint came off flaking into my food after the first cook.  I had posted  pics here and decided

to file a claim under warranty and I have a replacement coming in mid to late December.

My neighbor's still looks good.  I guess I got a faulty paint job, IDK?

(Just got an email update from KJ.  They are expecting to have DoJoes back in stock by mid December)

Edited by Gebo

Sorry to hear about you warranty issues but glad they are getting worked out. But, I don't know that'd spring for 'spares' under any circumstances. Unless I had confidence I could sell them and recoup my money, that is... :-D

A deflector plate on my oldest BJ split in two about a year and a half ago. Amazingly, it was my fault and not a warranty issue. I know that's a fairly unique situation apparently. Anyway, I haven't had any problems continuing to cook on it. And, I'm never going to have tech issues with the Joe because I refuse to buy any.

9 hours ago, Gebo said:

A bunch of the paint came off flaking into my food after the first cook.  I had posted  pics here and decided

to file a claim under warranty and I have a replacement coming in mid to late December.

My neighbor's still looks good.  I guess I got a faulty paint job, IDK?

(Just got an email update from KJ.  They are expecting to have DoJoes back in stock by mid December)

Yea... it's gonna come off again though.   I haven't had a lot of mine come off but it comes off.