Turkey Male vs Female

just4fn

I have never been told this before so I thought I would pass it along.  From the Traeger Website:  

You’ll want to avoid buying a turkey over 16 pounds. Generally, any bird bigger than that is male turkey. Male turkeys are not as tender as female, and lead to a tougher final product.

14 hours ago, just4fn said:

I have never been told this before so I thought I would pass it along.  From the Traeger Website:  

You’ll want to avoid buying a turkey over 16 pounds. Generally, any bird bigger than that is male turkey. Male turkeys are not as tender as female, and lead to a tougher final product.

And here I thought using a coal-fired convection oven (kamado) was all it took to make any protein tender! 

HeeHee! 

I used to intentionally seek out the biggest birds I could find on Thanksgiving. I think 26lbs is the biggest bird I could find. Never had an issue with tenderness or toughness compared to the smaller oven roasted birds that others in my family cooked. This was pre-Kamado btw.

Edited by CentralTexBBQ

Wife was in Europe last year so I had my way and Dry Brined a small (10 pounder)...
It was fabulous. I'll never cook one in the oven again... never.

Personal notes:

Built 3 Smaller piles of lump, used 1/2 cubes to light around the edges of the piles.

Cook took about 2 hours 15 minutes for a 10 pounder.

Coals stayed true at 350-375 ...

Bumped to 390+ at the end last 10-15 minutes to crisp up skin.

two.JPG