Monolith accessories cross compatibility

Deskbound

Does anyone have any experience of using monolith accessories with a KJ 3 classic? I’ve been wanting some semi-circular drip trays for my KJ3 for a while but the only ones I can see are made by monolith as part of their smart grid system. It looks like they are 18” diameter, so will presumably fit into the divide & conquer rack ok, but would love to know if anyone can confirm that they fit before I buy them!

Thanks in advance

9 hours ago, adm said:

I can't help you with whether or not they will fit, but I can confirm they are 18" diameter. Let me know of any pictures or measurements you might need and I will happily take them for you.

Awesome, thank you! Are they the “Le chef” ones? How deep are they? And do you think you could use them as roasting tins as well as drip

trays?

1 hour ago, Deskbound said:

Awesome, thank you! Are they the “Le chef” ones? How deep are they? And do you think you could use them as roasting tins as well as drip

trays?

Yes - I have the "Le Chef", but I don't think they would make good roasting tins at all. You could do it at a push, but I wouldn't recommend it.

They are about 12mm deep and one has a lip that fits over the other one so there's no gap between them for any fat to drip through.

They do a good job as drip trays though.

To be honest, my ideal drip tray would be an 18" disposable aluminium foil catering platter. That way you can just throw it away when it gets too dirty rather than clean it. But I am finding those difficult to source right now without paying over a fiver each....

On 10/30/2020 at 11:04 PM, adm said:

To be honest, my ideal drip tray would be an 18" disposable aluminium foil catering platter. That way you can just throw it away when it gets too dirty rather than clean it. But I am finding those difficult to source right now without paying over a fiver each....

This is just what I was thinking, it'd be great if they were semi-circular shape too. Have you seen something like that in stores somewhere? 5 bucks for disposable tray, that's rough...

31 minutes ago, Andrey said:

This is just what I was thinking, it'd be great if they were semi-circular shape too. Have you seen something like that in stores somewhere? 5 bucks for disposable tray, that's rough...

They do exist. But only in circular rather than semi-circular.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Durable-Packaging-Round-Aluminum-Catering/dp/B01IWKVVQQ

I just can't buy them here at a decent price. I'd be willing to buy 100 if I could find them for a buck or two each.

Wow, that is pricey! I'd buy 100 semi-circular ones, because my theory (don't really know, as I only bought my first kamado 2 days ago) is that they are more handy if you need direct heat under half of the cooking surface. That is the reason why the heat deflector is split into 2, right? Do you often cook like that, I mean with one half of the deflector off?

6 hours ago, Andrey said:

Wow, that is pricey! I'd buy 100 semi-circular ones, because my theory (don't really know, as I only bought my first kamado 2 days ago) is that they are more handy if you need direct heat under half of the cooking surface. That is the reason why the heat deflector is split into 2, right? Do you often cook like that, I mean with one half of the deflector off?

I do! Mainly when doing steaks or chops or something that needs the open flame. So semi-circular ones would be good, but I've never seen any. When I cook like that though, the temperature is normally very hot, so anything dripping into the stainless steel pans tends to vaporise anyway and you can then brush it out.

Normally when I get lots of fat dripping is when I am doing low 'n ' slow pork shoulder or brisket with the full heat deflector in place and that's when the drip pans get full of fat. 

You can always just ramp the temperature up after you take the meat off and that will burn off the fat, but it does make a lot of smoke while you do it!

5 hours ago, adm said:

I do! Mainly when doing steaks or chops or something that needs the open flame. So semi-circular ones would be good, but I've never seen any. When I cook like that though, the temperature is normally very hot, so anything dripping into the stainless steel pans tends to vaporise anyway and you can then brush it out.

Normally when I get lots of fat dripping is when I am doing low 'n ' slow pork shoulder or brisket with the full heat deflector in place and that's when the drip pans get full of fat. 

You can always just ramp the temperature up after you take the meat off and that will burn off the fat, but it does make a lot of smoke while you do it!

OK, then just finding big round aluminium trays should do the trick, semi-circular ones are nice to have. Thank you!

So, I decided to take the plunge on the monolith trays. The 18” ‘le chef’ versions perfectly fit on the kJ classic as they’re an 18” diameter. They work nicely as roasting tins and I’m really pleased; you can really maximise your cooking space. I roasted some veg in one tonight, with the second underneath it as a tray for some sweet potatoes. Chicken breasts over direct heat on the other side. 100% would recommend to KJ users wanting half-moon roasting tins/drip trays 

6E5A4FEC-02F5-43C2-AE0C-2FA3AAD572C1.jpeg