Canadian Charcoal

JeffieBoy

What with all of the pandemic shortages, there have been continuous issues with getting lump charcoal here in Southern Ontario.  My little Italian butcher/grocer hasn’t had any available since about June.  Today I noticed about six skids of charcoal including Carbone Signature Lump from a company in Quebec.  Whilst I have tried the other brands that were there today, I have never tried this brand.  

Anyone out there with experience with it?  Is it small lump or larger chunks for smoking?  Strong or mild smoke scent?  

Thanks,

8B7D4E10-84B2-452D-B712-9A6F39F8535C.jpeg

Never tried it as far as I know. However back in the late 90's early 00's there was a Sugar Maple lump out of Quebec that was in orange striped bag almost looked like a USN burn bag. That stuff was top notch at the time. All fist size pieces and if I remember correctly only ever could find 12lb bags in the States.

Hope its great stuff for you.

Hey @JeffieBoy what store? I'd like to try some. Last year Costco was selling Xylo lump, but it was in a plain bag with a green top, Rona sells it now. https://www.rona.ca/en/xylo-carbone-large-lump-charcoal-hardwood-8-kg-60095000 I found it to be the same as the Basques they sold the previous years, and about the same as Maple Leaf lump. It's probably all coming from the same place in Quebec.

@JeffieBoySerious shortages continue I agree.  My local CT got in a skid of the half bags (4kg) of RO and I bought up an amount that should keep me going for awhile - of course when you have to buy twice the # of bags it costs more but I have charcoal to get me through the winter now.  Next day - completely out of stock again.

I have used Xylo quite a bit, Rona had a sale on it in spring and I used to get it at Costco.  Different looking bag but I assume it is likely the same thing, I did like the Xylo lump, good chunk size and burned well.  I would buy it again but it's been out of stock everywhere I've looked.

@Walrus,  this was in Cambridge at diPietros on Glamis.  After nothing for months, they suddenly had about four different types but this one caught my eye.  My guy for Fogo tells me that they Xylois just about the only mfr in Canada and they bag lump for everybody.  They had a major shutdown and rebuilt of their kilns over the pandemic period and thus was the major cause of the shortage here.  True or not?  I don’t know.  Let me know if you need help getting that.

@KamadoChris thanks for the details.  Will probably buy a bag to play with.  Will report back later.  I am hoping it’s not the tiny dregs and dust like the bag of Maple Leaf I bought in the spring.

On 11/3/2020 at 5:00 AM, bosco said:

I love the maple leaf lump brand out of Quebec, however; I have heard that the factory burnt down.  I am not sure how true that is but I am really missing it

If you are up for a short drive:  https://www.dipietros.ca

it’s about a 35-40 minute drive from the Mattamy Velodrome up Derry and Hwy. 97.  They had Maple Leaf on the weekend and as the old commercials used to say, “It’s worth the drive!”

On 11/4/2020 at 8:42 AM, JeffieBoy said:

If you are up for a short drive:  https://www.dipietros.ca

it’s about a 35-40 minute drive from the Mattamy Velodrome up Derry and Hwy. 97.  They had Maple Leaf on the weekend and as the old commercials used to say, “It’s worth the drive!”

Do you recall the price?  I may swing by on the weekend