From Russia with love!

8 hours ago, BURGER MEISTER said:

Welcome from the USA.  What an apropos post title with the passing of the original 007.:welcome: 

Thank you :) First, I thought about having a bit of fund and posting a title with Khrushev quote "We will bury you" but in the current political climate I decided that would be a risky joke :)

8 hours ago, JeffieBoy said:

Welcome aboard from Canada.  Just remember to send us stories and photos of your cooks as we all like to learn from each other.  Many happy cooks with your monolith!

Thanks mate!) I will, but I would like to get at least some experience first though :) 

I was wondering about how Kamado would cook in a climate with occasional minus 10 degree F, I am sure you could say a lot about that ;) 

Welcome Andrey glad to have someone here who's sense of humor is close to mine. We get down to minus 10 also but my kamado hasn't experienced it yet. I imagine it would survive. Our Canadian friends would know more . Have you seen this.

Lots of good info

7 hours ago, len440 said:

Welcome Andrey glad to have someone here who's sense of humor is close to mine. We get down to minus 10 also but my kamado hasn't experienced it yet. I imagine it would survive. Our Canadian friends would know more . Have you seen this.

Lots of good info

Many thanks! Yes, I'm almost finished it actually, super useful read!

Well, in times like these you can't get by without a bit of laugh or you go nuts :)

Welcome to the forum.  Send some pictures of that grey slushy stuff (not pristine, white snow) so I can remember why I live in California.  And send some pictures of your cooks and include the descriptions of the cuts of meat.  I am fascinated by the different ways of carving up a side of beef and how it varies around the world.

@Andrey  I typically use the Akorn about a dozen times or so through the cold weather.  I find that the cold, clear, high pressure days mean no wind, so the temps tend to be more stable.  The insulation inside the double walled Akorn means that there is very little difference in efficiency from summer time cooks. This may differ with ceramic.  I do like when the smoke just hangs in the air rather than dissipating immediately.  

Living in a city means that very rarely is that beautiful, clean, wood smoke smell in the air.  It’s nice when it hangs around.  It’s also a dinner bell for your neighbours to come nosing around!

17 hours ago, daninpd said:

Welcome to the forum.  Send some pictures of that grey slushy stuff (not pristine, white snow) so I can remember why I live in California.  And send some pictures of your cooks and include the descriptions of the cuts of meat.  I am fascinated by the different ways of carving up a side of beef and how it varies around the world.

Thank you, will do, hopefully not in the next week or so! California is great, God knows when I will be able to come visit next time :( Cuts in Russia do differ a lot from US, as far as my quick internet scan told me. There are only a few places where one can find brisket with flat and point, pork buts don't come with the bone... hopefully I will find someone from Moscow here who already did the research on finding good barbecue meat :) 

Overall grilling meat is done quite differently, mostly like in the picture. Low and slow is not very common at all, apart from parts of post-Soviet Union, like Central Asia, the "stans", like Uzbekistan, where I was born. There cooking meat in traditional clay ovens goes back centuries... download.jpg.91371b407d58842c916a7b6952c72375.jpg

9 hours ago, JeffieBoy said:

@Andrey  I typically use the Akorn about a dozen times or so through the cold weather.  I find that the cold, clear, high pressure days mean no wind, so the temps tend to be more stable.  The insulation inside the double walled Akorn means that there is very little difference in efficiency from summer time cooks. This may differ with ceramic.  I do like when the smoke just hangs in the air rather than dissipating immediately.  

Living in a city means that very rarely is that beautiful, clean, wood smoke smell in the air.  It’s nice when it hangs around.  It’s also a dinner bell for your neighbours to come nosing around!

I will soon find out hopefully :) There are no back yards inside Moscow ring road, as there are only apartment blocks. One of the reasons why I so desperately wanted to live in the suburbs. Thank you COVID, I guess you are not all horrible ))