About ready to buy my first Kamado!

Hi everyone, 

I am just about ready to call the research done and buy my first Kamado grill (so much YouTube and reading about options). I am keen to read this forum about what I'm looking at (a BGE Large, KJ Classic II or III or the Big Joe II). I saw that people on here love the sloroller tech and charcoal basket on the Classic III, so I'm thinking that is the way to go. I found the thread talking about this, so just a few more hours of reading and I'll be good to buy. 

I've cooked a lot on propane BBQs and cannot wait to get into the charcoal Kamado-style! 

Cheers, 

Tom

1 hour ago, Tom Gordon said:

I am just about ready to call the research done and buy my first Kamado grill.

Hi Tom. Welcome to the forum.

If you can swing it pricewise, I think either the KJ Classic III or Big Joe III would the model to purchase.  But regardless, if you're accustomed only to a traditional gas BBQ, I'm sure you'll be very happy with your decision to purchase a Kamado.

24 minutes ago, len440 said:

Welcome that book will get of to a great start remember charcoal is different than gas bbq

I've read a lot about the pitfalls and the learning curve and I'm looking forward to the challenge. Hopefully, there is more trial than error, but it's a process so I am thinking of sharing my mistakes/successes as I come across them. I've enjoyed reading other people's stories.  

16 minutes ago, Dogstar said:

Hi Tom. Welcome to the forum.

If you can swing it pricewise, I think either the KJ Classic III or Big Joe III would the model to purchase.  But regardless, if you're accustomed only to a traditional gas BBQ, I'm sure you'll be very happy with your decision to purchase a Kamado.

Thanks for the recommendation, I haven't seen the Big Joe III or Classic III in person yet, but I will definitely check them out. 

2 hours ago, TKOBBQ said:

Welcome to the Guru there are a lot of great people and information around here.

Thanks for the welcome! I have only just started reading the threads and already I have found a lot of helpful stories, facts, fixes etc. I'm looking forward to adding some experiences of my own in good time. 

1 hour ago, retfr8flyr said:

Welcome to the forum! How many people do you usually cook for, this has a big influence on getting the Classic or Big Joe. As stated, if you can swing it the III is the way to go.

Good point, we would cook for about 15 (as a party), but more regularly about 4-6. I'd be keen to hear your thoughts on how much can actually be cooked on the systems. Also, how much would you want to cook/manage at the same time? As a new griller, naturally I won't be too ambitious at first, but I intend on having the grill for a long time and will expand. 

I have a KJ Classic III.  4-6 eaters are no problem with a Classic III.  I easily cook 2 rib racks on the grill, or 3 rib racks with a rib rack holder.  I also have the JoeTisserie.  I cook 2 chickens there on the rotissserie, or spatchcocked (on the grill), with no problem.  Every thing I just mentioned is single grill level food.  But for many cooks, you can use multiple grill levels at the same time - nearly double the rack space.  And cooking some things earlier and letting them sit for a bit is often the better technique anyway.

None of this is to say that the Big Joe III isn't also a great option.  But it is larger, requires more fuel, more heat soak, etc., and all the accessories are a bit more money.  If you need it, it's wonderful.

On 11/6/2020 at 6:56 PM, Tom Gordon said:

Good point, we would cook for about 15 (as a party), but more regularly about 4-6. I'd be keen to hear your thoughts on how much can actually be cooked on the systems. Also, how much would you want to cook/manage at the same time? As a new griller, naturally I won't be too ambitious at first, but I intend on having the grill for a long time and will expand. 

If you are going to entertain that many people, I would highly recommend the Big Joe. My big Joe is a Gen I but I have the extended rack for it and I can easily feed 15-20 and I actually do quite often. The thing about a Kamado grill is you can build a small fire and only use half of the grill, for smaller cooks. The majority of my cooks are for just the two of us but I have a large family, so there are lots of cooks for 20+.