First 6 Months ... Time to Pack Joe Away for the Winter

Evening everyone, 

First off, thank you for all the help and advice the community has provided over the last 6 months, it's been good fun to learn about my Joe and all the cool stuff you can do with Him. 

It seems to me that getting into the garden and cooking some nice food has really helped me deal with lockdown, elections, brexit and all the other crap going on around us. 

Wanted to attach some pictures of the food I have cooked before i pack Joe away safely for the cold, dark nights.

Thanks again to everyone and staff safe. 

Graham.

IMG-20200515-WA0014.jpg

20200523_165106.jpg

IMG-20200816-WA0008.jpg

20200825_193311.jpg

20200910_192411.jpg

20201104_141452.jpg

20201104_184608.jpg

IMG-20200522-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20200518-WA0004.jpg

20201104_154923.jpg

IMG-20200605-WA0003.jpg

Mate, don't put it away. But do buy a rain cover for it.

I am just up the road from you near to Guildford and mine is going to be in use all through the winter. Just move your parasol a little nearer so you have a cover from any rain, rig up a light and you are good to go all winter.

I'm doing some ribs tomorrow night...

Cheers for all the advice chaps, 

I have the Kamado Joe Rain Cover for the unit and it seems good quality and would keep the rain off. I was worried that the fire box and the various bits and bobs would not survive the cold weather but i am guessing this isn't the case?

When i took the cover off a few weeks back, there was a lot of condensation in the dome, even though i had the top and bottom vents open under the cover. Is this something to be worried about?

Any chance we could get thoughts on how best to look after Joe during the winter as i would not want to do harm through ignorance.

Cheer again, 

Graham.

5 hours ago, Graham said:

Cheers for all the advice chaps, 

I have the Kamado Joe Rain Cover for the unit and it seems good quality and would keep the rain off. I was worried that the fire box and the various bits and bobs would not survive the cold weather but i am guessing this isn't the case?

When i took the cover off a few weeks back, there was a lot of condensation in the dome, even though i had the top and bottom vents open under the cover. Is this something to be worried about?

Any chance we could get thoughts on how best to look after Joe during the winter as i would not want to do harm through ignorance.

Cheer again, 

Graham.

Here's what I do. Not sure if it's "best practice" or not...

After a cook, I let it cool down for a few hours until the fire is definitely out, then open the vents up and put the cover on. This way air will still flow through it and hopefully slow any mould growth.

This can be a problem with an evening cook, so I'll just let it cool down overnight then put the cover on the next day after any dew has had time to evaporate off the surface.

But they are pretty damn hardy things and a few days in the pouring rain won't do any damage. I do just like to keep it covered if I wont be using it for a week or so though.

When I fire it up again I don't go crazy hot right away - just bring it up to temperature slowly to give time for any moisture to evaporate.

One of my biggest misunderstandings about the COVID-19 shutdowns was that I thought I would barbecue more. Turns out we are so busy it is my low point cooking outside, I am also dealing with problems from infrequent cooks and weather.

I use my KJs year round, summer heat or winter snow. If you cook on them once a week or more and cover them when you are not using them temperature does not make a difference. That said, I had an abnormal failed cook this week, trying to get my Big Joe up to temp after a couple of weeks uncovered with a lot of strong and sideways rain. Mine was so waterlogged that running full tilt with a full bag of charcoal, I never hit 375f, and I could feel the water vapor if I held my hand near the vent. After that burn all was well again, and I know I need to get right with the cover.

Kamados do not seem to mind about winter temps at all. If you need motivation to get out there, I would politely recommend the rotisserie or the DoJoe. The dark stinks, the cold stinks, but neither will remotely reduce the quality of your kamado cooks. Vs the traditional Weber, the indifference to winter is one of the biggest differences of kamados. Grilling season is all the time.

22 hours ago, Graham said:

Thanks again everyone, 

You have convinced me to cook through the dark ....

I will hook up a light and make sure i can see what I am doing.

Anyone got any experience with cooking the Xmas Turkey on the Joe?

Cheers, 

Use deflectors and wood chunks and smoke it.

Or, use deflectors and no wood chunks and bake it just like you would in the oven.

Or, see if you can get a Joetisserie and have a rotisserie turkey.

It appears you've already done whole chickens.