Firebox divider (BJ2)

I never use the divider on my Monolith either. Seems to be more hassle than it's worth and the only time I tried it it was harder to get it up to the temperature I wanted.

You will still need to use the same amount of fuel  and air to get the Kamado to the temperature you want anyway. (same thermal mass to heat up and stabilise) So all you will achieve with a half load of coal is that it will burn out quicker. The airtightness of a Kamado also means that you properly extinguish the coals when you are done and use the remainder for your next cook, so I really don't see any advantage.

I used to only fill my Webers up on one side, but that was just to get direct and indirect zones. With heat deflector plates on the Kamados, this is a non-issue.

I find the divider rack very helpful in my Big Joe III

I use it for quick after work cooks for my wife and me, burgers, steaks, chicken etc

Saves a ton of charcoal and for these type cooks as I do not need to get the whole cooker up to temp, just hot enough at the cooking grate

If I did not have just a large cooker I am not sure if I would use it that much but for me its great

2 hours ago, Buttburner said:

I find the divider rack very helpful in my Big Joe III

I use it for quick after work cooks for my wife and me, burgers, steaks, chicken etc

Saves a ton of charcoal and for these type cooks as I do not need to get the whole cooker up to temp, just hot enough at the cooking grate

If I did not have just a large cooker I am not sure if I would use it that much but for me its great

For direct heat cooking I light one area, be that a side, the middle, etc. of the appropriate size for the meal I plan to cook (burgers, dogs, a couple pieces of chicken).  I do cheat and use a propane torch to light my fires.  I'm not trying to convince you to change if you're comfortable.  Only stating what I've found works or me.