How Low Can You Go?

I don't have a KJ so I can't really answer your question but at temps in the 200-225* range 9 hours is not enough time. 12 - 18 hours is more like it. 

Being on this forum as long as I have been, you should easily get 18 hours at 225* from any of the KJ's if you run it right. 

2 hours ago, ckreef said:

I don't have a KJ so I can't really answer your question but at temps in the 200-225* range 9 hours is not enough time. 12 - 18 hours is more like it. 

Being on this forum as long as I have been, you should easily get 18 hours at 225* from any of the KJ's if you run it right. 

Yeah, 9 hrs at 230 is no prob. 14 hrs at 230 is also no prob. Haven’t tried lower than that, but if you can sustain a lower temp a longer burn should again be no prob.

I've had mine as low as 190f for a long period of time 

Didnt cook anything though, was trying to smoke some water for ice cubes (didnt work very well)

Could probably go lower with a bit of tweaking but wouldn't recommend it for cooking as you'll have trouble keeping a clean burn in the firebox 

I'm not being clear.  Let me try this again.  

What is the lowest temp you can go to without having the fire go out?  I ain't asking about the length of time.

My neighbor and I can't go below 225 for any extended length of time.  Trying to stay at 200 (Salmon) was

unsustainable.  Fire went out.

33 minutes ago, Gebo said:

I'm not being clear.  Let me try this again.  

What is the lowest temp you can go to without having the fire go out?  I ain't asking about the length of time.

My neighbor and I can't go below 225 for any extended length of time.  Trying to stay at 200 (Salmon) was

unsustainable.  Fire went out.

190f seems to be the floor for me

Depending how long you plan to cook something at those temps (as well as your ambient temp) you might be better off starting a fire and getting the grill stable at 225f then closing down the vents and letting the fire go out

The ceramics would keep between 190f and 200f+ for a while if you allowed them time to heat soak

The lowest that I've tried to maintain is a dome temp of 225°F.  Maintained that for ~20 hours in a Big Joe with six pork shoulders.  No charcoal basket, no electronics and using KJ big lump charcoal.  I did use a remote electronic thermometer to monitor the internal meat temp and did not open the BJ until the alarm went off.

fire management... any temp can be held with proper fire management... I've held 150° for three plus hours while cold smoking salmon and the temp never budged.

The fact that others have achieved it doesn't mean you can. You have to

1. Indentify what you are doing wrong (this is a learning process)
  2. Develop a method of loading lump, lighting lump, vent settings and heat soak that will allow you to achieve the results that you want upon correcting what you are doing wrong. It's going to be a process of trial, error and correction to find out what works. I've held 150° for three plus hours while cold smoking salmon.