Well I’m stumped (not for the first time of course). 

I put a 15 lb brisket on at 4 am after letting the fire and Kj settle in for an hour. It stabilized at 280 and I left it alone. Checked the meat temp at 9 am ....and I’m already at 205 in the flat and 190 in the point. It’s probing nicely so no complaints there, it was just a crazy fast cook. 

FWIW it’s a prime brisket but I don’t see how that could make a difference. 

Oh well, time to wrap and then rest. 

5 hours does seem a tad quick. I had something similar with a pork butt, but it was caused by the meat thermometer i was using went bad when i checked with another i found it was was way off. Or your grill temp maybe over 280.Sorry i cant offer more help. Let us know how it turns out.

Y

13 minutes ago, len440 said:

5 hours does seem a tad quick. I had something similar with a pork butt, but it was caused by the meat thermometer i was using went bad when i checked with another i found it was was way off. Or your grill temp maybe over 280.Sorry i cant offer more help. Let us know how it turns out.

Yeah, I hate to admit it in public, but I once pushed my remote temp probe too close to the edge and it picked up excessive heat from being next to one of my grate rods. I thought the same as you, man that was a fast cook. How ever when I moved the probe around, I discovered my mistake. I would check the temp in a variety of places just to make sure your getting a true reading of what is going on inside your brisket.

I'm a "hot and fast" brisket cook and that amount of time to those temps is EXACTLY what I get cooking at 350.

I also have a Kamado and it's never stopped confusing me as to what area is at what temp.

I suggest you are cooking much hotter than you think you are.

My cooks last close to 6 hours and if I am going to hold the meat in a cooler I have to pull at around 5.5 hours to prevent carry over cooking.

If I'm going to cool for an hour uncovered then slice and eat it's a 6 hour cook, no matter what size brisket.

33 minutes ago, LargeRedJoe said:

In any event the brisket came out great. Very tender and juicy so...whatever!!!

And THAT'S what matters!  If it were just a matter of following the recipe and 'getting to the temperature' then anybody can do it...but you're a cook!  Well done.