Dry brine butterball?

I have not bribed Turks that are pre bribed as I have been afraid to over salt it. I have rubbed and injected with butter n herbs.  But I have been told that more bringing is nessicary.  I have not found this to be the case and have not bribed further,  but heck, I am a hack, if I'm wrong let me know.

Just now, prowe said:

I have not brined birds that are pre brned as I have been afraid to over salt it. I have rubbed and injected with butter n herbs.  But I have been told that more b is nessicary.  I have not found this to be the case and have not bribed further,  but heck, I am a hack, if I'm wrong let me know.

Oh my, the autocorrect. I apologize. Have gone back and forth on this a few times.

Dry brining a pre-brined turkey can be problematic for the reasons listed. 

Wet brining gets around those issues, because it allows 2-way passage in and out of the meat. Yes, the brine brings salt into the meat, but salt is also leaching out of the meat, along with whatever other chemistry the turkey contains. A 24 hr. wet brine ends up with a salt level determined by your brine recipe, as long as the brine greatly outweighs the meat. 

So, I use pure water with salt, pepper corns and spices in a brine that's 2-3x more massive than the bird, regardless the prior seasoning, and leave it for a day. I've been doing this with turkey breast for many years. (All breast products are pre-injected.)

The other secret to great turkey is undercooking it for a long time. I cook to "time above 150F." The FDA wants ~20 minutes at 150F, so I give it an hour or two at 150F+ by removing to a cooler at 155F internal and allowing it to continue cooking as it cools. Foil and towels are involved. You don't get crispy skin....

Frank

You can get crispy skin with wet brine, just not at 250F. Dry the bird, give it a good 30 min. rest, butter the skin and give it 30 min. at 450-500F, or until you like the color. 

I'm a great fan of America's Test Kitchen, who just did their 2-turkey Thanksgiving cook, in pieces. I've quoted their breast skin browning recommendation; I'm not a skin lover.