Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, ckreef said:

John I've been on the fence about buying one of these for the Travel Trailer since they were first announced. Your video pushed me over the edge. Earlier today I ordered one from Atlanta Grill Company. I've already got a tracking number and it's supposed to arrive by end of day Friday. Very excited about this. I'll give it a maiden voyage this weekend. 

 

When talking to Mrs skreef I did blame you and your video so you might want to sleep with one eye open for a little while - LOL B)

 

 

Oh boy... I don't want the missus givin' me the stink eye!  But here's the deal.  I know exactly how well she cooks.  And I think this grill is ultimately gonna be hers and she may share it with you if you are nice :)  

 

But also I know how much you appreciate quality and you are gonna be impressed with the build on this grill.  It's not a toy grill.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thank you Mr. John. Yep @ckreefmight just loose a grill to the Misses. I let him think for a couple days it's his....mum's the word. Skreef is in for a steal ...  

Oh boy... I don't want the missus givin' me the stink eye!  But here's the deal.  I know exactly how well she cooks.  And I think this grill is ultimately gonna be hers and she may share it with you i

We went out hiking in the woods today and geocaching. On the way home I stopped and got some briquettes. It didn't click in Mrs skreef's brain that it was briquettes not lump. When we got home there w

Posted Images

I have to say, I got mine a little over a week ago (from my pre-order) and I was super impressed with the packaging.  The grill is awesome, too - but I thought the packaging was well executed which is important to me and something I noticed.  

 

Also, I think I will prefer briquettes in this grill, but the increased amount of ash is ridiculous.  I did have some issues with ash coming out the front on mine after my burn in and first cook.  I do like the fact that it fits nicely on a full sheet pan....  That helped me to keep the ash that escaped contained and not worry about ash / embers falling through my wrought iron table and/or deck below it.

 

This may become my go to winter grill for quick cooks.  Much more real estate to work with than the Akorn Jr and if it sits out overnight and gets snowed on, nothing to stress about as far as developing rust issues later on.  Also very easy to setup a 2 zone cook with the elongated oval cooking surface.

 

I'm looking for them to offer the hibachi "lid" and griddle as separate accessory purchases at some point.  From a packing the car and maintaining usable space perspective, I think that hibachi setup with flat top transport surface would be nice.... especially if you were just intending a quick open fire cook on the go.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2020 at 7:18 PM, John Setzler said:

 

Oh boy... I don't want the missus givin' me the stink eye!  But here's the deal.  I know exactly how well she cooks.  And I think this grill is ultimately gonna be hers and she may share it with you if you are nice :)  

 

But also I know how much you appreciate quality and you are gonna be impressed with the build on this grill.  It's not a toy grill.  

 

Thank you Mr. John. Yep @ckreefmight just loose a grill to the Misses. I let him think for a couple days it's his....mum's the word. Skreef is in for a steal ...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2020 at 7:18 PM, John Setzler said:

 

But also I know how much you appreciate quality and you are gonna be impressed with the build on this grill.  It's not a toy grill.  

 

 

We went out hiking in the woods today and geocaching. On the way home I stopped and got some briquettes. It didn't click in Mrs skreef's brain that it was briquettes not lump. When we got home there was a box sitting on the porch B)

 

Seasoned the CI Grates (the split Grates). Burgers on the menu for tomorrow lunch. 

 

I really like the probe port. That was a very smart feature since it doesn't have a thermometer. When seasoning the Grates I had my ThermaQ probe going in through the post so I could monitor the temp and tweak the vents. This is going to be a great addition to my camping arsenal. 

 

@KismetKamado  I too was impressed with the way it was packaged. Took me 15 minutes to get the inner bundle apart. I left the other base, charcoal grate, and one piece grate zip tied together. I'll put it aside for now.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2020 at 8:43 AM, KismetKamado said:

 

 

Also, I think I will prefer briquettes in this grill, but the increased amount of ash is ridiculous.  I did have some issues with ash coming out the front on mine after my burn in and first cook.  I do like the fact that it fits nicely on a full sheet pan....  That helped me to keep the ash that escaped contained and not worry about ash / embers falling through my wrought iron table and/or deck below it.

 

 

 

I saw someone else setting one on a sheet pan so that might be good advice when not on a fire safe surface.  I also concur with the use of briquettes in a grill like this. I normally use briquettes in my 360 also simplyh because its the best way to get an even heating surface.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2020 at 7:58 AM, John Setzler said:

 

I saw someone else setting one on a sheet pan so that might be good advice when not on a fire safe surface.  I also concur with the use of briquettes in a grill like this. I normally use briquettes in my 360 also simplyh because its the best way to get an even heating surface.


Definitely agree on the even heating surface, but I’ve also found the ash from the briquettes doesn’t fly up into my food as much as it does with lump. Not an issue with the kamados, but if I use lump with my PK and it’s breezy (any given day here), I seem to get an ash flurry flying up every time I open the dome... which doesn’t happen nearly as much when using briquettes.  That might all be my imagination... but it seems like a very real problem at times. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So far I've only used is Royal Oak all natural briquettes. Not really impressed with the performance even though it gets good reviews. I do want to try some Jealous Devil and see how that performs. 

 

If I need a really long cook or going to use it as a true hibachi I might have to load it up from my Marabu stash. 

 

@Polar Bear so far chimney. I have more to post on that statement but I need to run a few more experiments first. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ckreef said:

So far I've only used is Royal Oak all natural briquettes. Not really impressed with the performance even though it gets good reviews. I do want to try some Jealous Devil and see how that performs. 

 

If I need a really long cook or going to use it as a true hibachi I might have to load it up from my Marabu stash. 

 

@Polar Bear so far chimney. I have more to post on that statement but I need to run a few more experiments first. 

 

 

If I may be so bold, you may consider B&B Briquets.  You may be pleasantly surprised.  I'm picky. I like B&B briquets a lot.  I have other choices concerning lump charcoal.

Edited by Gebo
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Gebo said:

If I may be so bold, you may consider B&B Briquets.  You may be pleasantly surprised.  I'm picky. I like B&B briquets a lot.  I have other choices concerning lump charcoal.

 

I'll give them a try. I went to a Walmart that had Kingsford hickory briquettes in stock on the web. When I got there, there was none to be found. (probably pushed to the back corner with Christmas crap).  I bought what seemed like the next best thing. I'll swing by Academy Sports one day and give B&B a try. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ckreef said:

 

I'll give them a try. I went to a Walmart that had Kingsford hickory briquettes in stock on the web. When I got there, there was none to be found. (probably pushed to the back corner with Christmas crap).  I bought what seemed like the next best thing. I'll swing by Academy Sports one day and give B&B a try. 

 

 

I really like the Kingsford "Infused" briquettes 

I use the Hickory and Applewood in my Pit Barrel almost exclusivly 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ckreef said:

So far I've only used is Royal Oak all natural briquettes. Not really impressed with the performance even though it gets good reviews. I do want to try some Jealous Devil and see how that performs. 

 

If I need a really long cook or going to use it as a true hibachi I might have to load it up from my Marabu stash. 

 

@Polar Bear so far chimney. I have more to post on that statement but I need to run a few more experiments first. 

 

 

Try Weber charcoal pretty good.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...