How bad is Kamado Joe's customer service?

Trying to decide between the Grilla Kong and the Kamado Joe Big Joe II. Was hoping for a grill large enough to smoke a brisket without trying to contort it to fit. 

I originally settled on the Kong due to reviews and pricing but their Black Friday deals are pitiful. The Big Joe II is $300 off at Keystone so thinking of really splurging and getting that but almost all the bad reviews I've see on KJ grills are due to bad or non-existant customer service. So have you guys had any good or bad interactions with them. 

COVID has kicked KJs CS Department in the nuts this year

Go back 12months and everyone had nothing but good things to say about KJ CS.

Also,

If i'm being honest, the likelihood of you needing to speak to someone from customer service is much lower if you buy the KJ compared to the Grilla...

It took me nearly a month to get any action on my shipping damage and warranty claims on my Big Joe. It has been 4 months and I still haven't received the parts I was promised. So far, I think they're doing right by me, but it sure is taking a LONG time.

It hasn't kept me from cooking, so I'm just waiting it out.

• 1 month later...

I wouldn’t go for the Kamado Joe. ITS NOT WORTH the extra costs, get a cheaper one instead and you will get a product that is quality checked and have a quality paint job done and high finish. 

Sadly I own two Joes. I’ve got a big joe. It have some dots were there’s a lack of paint and the ceramic is exposed and thought that this was a one time “error”

So, now I was looking for a smaller Kamado and ordered a Kamado Joe Jr... and when it arrived. Ohh my god! If this is Kamado Joes standard now. Then people will stop buying all of their products in a few years. DO NOT even consider buying this product. I will upload a video (YouTube) for you guys and all other people considering buying their products so you can get a view of the product that Kamado Joe support told me to accept. They offered me to send me a bottle of paint to fix this on my own but still have to pay the full price.

I will also include how they respond when I contacted  their support. They were rude and oblique calling me an idiot. 

9 minutes ago, Joe Swede said:

They were rude and oblique calling me an idiot. 

Not to victim blame, but if you communication with CS carried the same tone as this post, I would not have been very receptive to, what is really, a minor cosmetic defect that in no way effects how the grill operates or its longevity... 

Also, just an FYI 

Joining a forum just to bash a manufacturer doesnt provide users here with a great first impression 

Dont forget to stop by the new memebers thread and introduce yourself  

I haven’t join this forum to bash a manufacturer. I’ve join this forum so anyone considering buying a Kamado Joe will have a second thought before placing an order.

And I would have appreciate if someone told me this before I’ve placed an order. Both Kamado Joes standard (what to be accepted) And how their costumers services act due to problems like this and how they were rude.

And NO, this is NOT a minor cosmetic defect, the video will show you how it’s looks like and the defects. You should ask yourself, is this the standard we consumers should accept? 

If this meets the standard of Kamado Joe then I happily will send the product to Kamado Joe so they can use it in their showroom.

Keep in mind when you are looking at the video if you would accepted this product and the “cosmetic” defects if it was a car or so? And Yes! You can still drive the car and you can still use it, even thou it got a messy paint job and other visual defects.

The question you should ask, if this was a car, Would accept to still pay the full price, and accept to do the paint and fix the other visual defects at your own if the producers solution is to send you a bottle of paint to fix it your own. 

2 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

Also, just an FYI 

Joining a forum just to bash a manufacturer doesnt provide users here with a great first impression 

Dont forget to stop by the new memebers thread and introduce yourself  

Folks have been using this forum as a stump since I put it together.  They come, make their complaints, and never come back.  They usually come here and do the same thing on other social media platforms as well.  They aren't looking to leave any impression other than their dislike of the manufacturer.

1 hour ago, Joe Swede said:

I haven’t join this forum to bash a manufacturer. I’ve join this forum so anyone considering buying a Kamado Joe will have a second thought before placing an order.

Potato Potato

I bought a Big Joe 3 last year. I have been nothing but pleased with it. The Kontrol Tower tilts when wide open so I filed a claim. The grill is still usable and performs well. Yes it is taking a while for it to come in but they can't ship what they don't have in stock. Do I wish that they would be a tad bit more proactive with updates while I wait, sure. That being said, I sent them an email this morning asking for an update making sure that the claim was still open and they responded within 2 hours providing me with timing updates. I don't regret my choice to buy a KJ one bit. 

I had issues with kontrol tower top vent gasket not properly sealing causing an air leak.

Kamado Joe customer service responded to me the next day.  The gasket material is on back order and I’ve just sent them an email for an update.

I’m confident they will respond on Monday...similar to all my other emails.

I don’t regret buying my Kamado Joe.  Customer service has been great.  I’m now considering another Kamado Joe.

All of my warranty concerns so far have been resolved aside from my cracked base. I received the KJ in question on 8/21/2020. It's midway through Jan 2021 and I'm still waiting for the base. I'm not bashing them; it's just a simple fact.

Other than the timeline, I can't complain. They have gone above and beyond, and have left me with 2 fully functioning Big Joes for the price of 1.

Once the base shows up, I'll be way ahead.

I have owned my Big Joe since early 2015.  In that time, I have had three full size fire boxes and the multi piece firebox sent as the fourth replacement.  The fire ring replaced once.  The bands were replaced twice (because of the hinge) and the hinge replaced.  They sent me a new cart when the wheels on my original cart seized.  My soap stone and my original heat deflectors were replaced.  In all of these transactions I think I have spoken to a person maybe 4 times?  I open the support ticket, attach my pictures and get an email back within a few days.  I have been informed via email when something may take a while to get to me.  I think the longest I have had to wait for anything is 4 months (that was the cart).  I have never been unable to use my grill.  As far as I am concerned, Kamado Joe's customer service is among the best I have ever dealt.