Sweet deal on Kamado Joe Classic II and accessories

Hello all,

I'm excited to join the group of KJ owners. Last week I lucked upon a barely (4x) used Kamado Joe Classic II with KJ cover, cast iron grates, pizza stone, and cast iron half moon griddle for $750.00 on FB Marketplace. I say lucked upon because I was actually looking for firewood and stumbled across this offer. The previous owner's kids didn't like smokey food so he sold it. I have been cooking on an Akorn since 2013, but when I moved back to the States a few months ago I had intended to purchase a KJ Classic II in the spring after I got the house and yard settled. When I saw this I felt like I couldn't pass it up. 

I've only cooked on it twice so far, but we've had pulled pork and pizza, both have been great and got rave reviews. There is a slight adjustment from cooking on the Akorn, but it's really not that big a deal. Anyway, I'm excited looking forward to many great cooks and time with family and friends ahead, as well as to share with and learn from this group.

KJ accessories.jpg

small butt cooking.jpg

small pulled pork.jpg

20201126_143340.jpg

20201128_195959.jpg

On 12/3/2020 at 3:48 PM, len440 said:

Nice up grade from the akorn ( don't mean to bad mouth the Akorn it's a good grill) looks like your off to a rolling start

Thanks, Len. The Akorn is a great cooker and I learned a ton using it, but after 7 years it was showing its age. I bought it because I didn't want to spend KJ bucks on smoking if I wasn't 100% sure it was something I would want to continue doing, which is the advice I would give to someone who is considering the kamado life. Now I know enough about kamados that I would not hesitate to spend the money for a Joe, and I got lucky to boot. 

I suggested to my son in-law in Calif to try an Akorn first to go from gas grill to charcoal. He really like my KJ when he was here but the bucks made him Leary of buying one. He didn't like the Akorn and the charcoal stuff so he gave it to his son in-law and went back to gas grill. His son in-law really likes using charcoal now and we have a convert. 

18 hours ago, dh14ster said:

Thanks, Len. The Akorn is a great cooker and I learned a ton using it, but after 7 years it was showing its age. I bought it because I didn't want to spend KJ bucks on smoking if I wasn't 100% sure it was something I would want to continue doing, which is the advice I would give to someone who is considering the kamado life. Now I know enough about kamados that I would not hesitate to spend the money for a Joe, and I got lucky to boot. 

OK, this is not a criticism by any means. However, this is advice I totally do not understand. It must be a consideration for those coming from gas grills. Growing up, everything we cooked was with briquettes and while I much prefer cooking with splits, when I bought my KJ, I never considered that I wouldn't like the taste of food due the the type of fuel.

Edited by CentralTexBBQ

CentralTexBBQ:

"OK, this is not a criticism by any means. However, this is advice I totally do not understand. It must be a consideration for those coming from gas grills. Growing up, everything we cooked was with briquettes and while I much prefer cooking with splits, when I bought my KJ, I never considered that I wouldn't like the taste of food due the the type of fuel.

Edited 20 hours ago by CentralTexBBQ"

I don't take this as a criticism at all. My point was not cooking on charcoal vs. gas, it was buying a kamado and all that goes with it. There is a significant investment in time and resources that one has to be willing to make vice grilling chicken on a Kettle or cooking brisket on a pellet grill or even a stick burner. I didn't want to spend $1,200 only to find out I didn't like getting up at 0430 to light my grill in the rain and then figuring out how to maintain temperature, etc., etc. And then there's all the other cool stuff (accessories) to make the whole process easier and more enjoyable. For a minimal investment, when I bought the Akorn I found out I was willing to do those things, so here I am 7 years later with a KJ I should never have to replace. I've known people who have tried kamados and they say it's not for them, too much work, too much dirt and dust, they don't want to have to stand around babysitting it all day. Or the guy I got my Joe from, his kids didn't like the taste of "smoky food." It was an expensive lesson for him, but he has an Ooni pizza oven now and everybody is happy.

At any rate, thank you for the feedback, I'm with you on the taste of the food. I knew I would like it if cooked over wood or charcoal. Heck, the reason I bought the Akorn in the first place was I got tired of spending good money on mediocre barbecue in restaurants (this isn't Central Texas, after all!) and I figured I could do better myself. 

20 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

really like the backdrop, nice scenery to cook to. And welcome as a new KJ owner. But, we need to get you a better foundation for your grill. :-D

Hahaha, that's coming in the spring. We just moved back from Germany a few months ago and a new Grillplatz unfortunately was not at the top of things to do for the new house, but we're getting there. That's the Blue Ridge in the distance. 

20200826_192650.jpg

20200908_194454.jpg

20201004_183203.jpg

18 minutes ago, dh14ster said:

I don't take this as a criticism at all. ... Or the guy I got my Joe from, his kids didn't like the taste of "smoky food."

I like to be careful because it's so easy to misconstrue statements made in forums. And I was not speaking specifically to or about you as much as the statement itself. I have read literally dozens of posts from people who have bought Kamados and they, their wives or children do not like the taste of the food. Again, I always assume it has to be those from a gasser background because briquettes add an infinitely stronger and distinctive 'flavor' or taste profile or than lump (sans smoking woods). I understand the dirty fire component in low and slows but many times- they are referring to burgers, steaks, etc. I just don't get it- pobably again due to my upbringing and exposure to grilling, bbqing, smoked foods early on.

42 minutes ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

I like to be careful because it's so easy to misconstrue statements made in forums. And I was not speaking specifically to or about you as much as the statement itself. I have read literally dozens of posts from people who have bought Kamados and they, their wives or children do not like the taste of the food. Again, I always assume it has to be those from a gasser background because briquettes add an infinitely stronger and distinctive 'flavor' or taste profile or than lump (sans smoking woods). I understand the dirty fire component in low and slows but many times- they are referring to burgers, steaks, etc. I just don't get it- pobably again due to my upbringing and exposure to grilling, bbqing, smoked foods early on.

I hear you, brother, and I appreciate it. I grew up cooking on charcoal and over campfires, but 30 years or so ago started using gassers for convenience sake. The kamado has generally been a hit with the family and my friends, but like many, I had to learn that with smoke, more is not necessarily better. Once you figure it out though, many people love it. I always make extra to save for in-laws, friends, co-workers because they can't do it themselves and I get a kick out of how much they enjoy it. For me it has been a great experience and way to share with friends and family.