7 hours ago, dman said:

That picture is certainly not Oxford Mississippi! Looks like a sci-fi or apocalyptic movie scene. I use cotton balls soaked in alcohol for starters and keep them in an old pickle jar. No melting or sticking together there. :)

This is my solution as well but not a pickle jar. They work well and are less expensive than the weber cubes.

7 hours ago, Grill_Boy said:

What's funny is after the summer heat, when temps drop to a brisk 80 degrees... people pull out hoodies and winter coats to wear around - kills me every time I see that -

Y'all haven't lived in the Valley for long, have you? LOL! My wife and I felt the same way when we moved here

from the midwest but after many years, we've adapted. BTW, we don't swim unless the pool water temp is at

least 85 deg. and 88 to 90 deg. is ideal.

I remember that wall of dust and the aftermath. I had to backflush the pool three times over the next couple

of days to clean out the mud. When it finally rained, all that dust that settled on the roof and patio turned to

a muddy mess and had to be washed away.

As for lighting the grill, I use a flame thrower connected to an LP gas tank - bought it from Harbor Freaght

and it works great. In the past, I've cut a small piece off of one of those wax and sawdust logs they sell

for your fireplace. I've also read of people using dryer lint soaked in alcohol for a starter. Recycling at

its best. A MAPP torch also works well and I do use that at times.

2 hours ago, K_sqrd said:

Y'all haven't lived in the Valley for long, have you? LOL! My wife and I felt the same way when we moved here

from the midwest but after many years, we've adapted. BTW, we don't swim unless the pool water temp is at

least 85 deg. and 88 to 90 deg. is ideal.

I remember that wall of dust and the aftermath. I had to backflush the pool three times over the next couple

of days to clean out the mud. When it finally rained, all that dust that settled on the roof and patio turned to

a muddy mess and had to be washed away.

As for lighting the grill, I use a flame thrower connected to an LP gas tank - bought it from Harbor Freaght

and it works great. In the past, I've cut a small piece off of one of those wax and sawdust logs they sell

for your fireplace. I've also read of people using dryer lint soaked in alcohol for a starter. Recycling at

its best. A MAPP torch also works well and I do use that at times.

Naw only about 3.5 years - but I do like it out here for sure -

Flame thrower - daum... didn't think about that - then again not sure if I trust myself with a flame thrower .. I'd probably set myself on fire and I don't have a pool -

11 hours ago, Grill_Boy said:

What's funny is after the summer heat, when temps drop to a brisk 80 degrees... people pull out hoodies and winter coats to wear around -

When I lived in Thailand as a kid my Mom called December "The month they put pants on the kids".  We were still sweating, but the kids were too cool for their diaperless existence.  It's all about what you're used to.

On 12/2/2020 at 10:58 PM, daninpd said:

When I lived in Thailand as a kid my Mom called December "The month they put pants on the kids".  We were still sweating, but the kids were too cool for their diaperless existence.  It's all about what you're used to.

One of my dreams was to be in Florida in January to experience the warm weather. Well, the day we flew out to Tampa the temps changed in SW Ohio from ~20° to high 60's. My friend from Kenya / Uganda wore a sweater, skull cap and winter jacket and constantly complained of the bone-chilling cold. Another friend from Guyana wore two pairs of thermals to bed and kept turning the therm up to 85°. I kept waking up in a pool of sweat. :-D