Bomb Dog Barbecue

I have a question for the community about fire construction and how much charcoal I should be using when I set up a cook. I have a KJ Classic III and have been using the SloRoller for all of my low and slow cooks.

On some of my larger cooks (one pork butt, a full brisket, and then two boneless pork shoulders) I have burned through all of my fuel before the cook was done. I filled the standard KJ ash basket with charcoal and then light it up with one KJ firestarter. I was smoking everything at around 250F and followed the heating method described by SmokingDad BBQ on his YouTube channel (it worked well!).

Does anyone have an image of what their charcoal looks like when setting up for a 10lb brisket or pork butt?

9 hours ago, Bomb Dog Barbecue said:

I have a question for the community about fire construction and how much charcoal I should be using when I set up a cook. I have a KJ Classic III and have been using the SloRoller for all of my low and slow cooks.

On some of my larger cooks (one pork butt, a full brisket, and then two boneless pork shoulders) I have burned through all of my fuel before the cook was done. I filled the standard KJ ash basket with charcoal and then light it up with one KJ firestarter. I was smoking everything at around 250F and followed the heating method described by SmokingDad BBQ on his YouTube channel (it worked well!).

Does anyone have an image of what their charcoal looks like when setting up for a 10lb brisket or pork butt?

This what my charcoal looked like AFTER an overnight pork butt cook.  I basically fill it up right to the top of the wire.

IMG_4382.thumb.jpeg.2746c70c57da736c82da405ad24d9b34.jpeg

6 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

When you say "I filled the standard KJ ash basket with charcoal", how full are we talking?

IME, i find what a lot of people think of as "full" is barely half full in a Kamado

Also, what brand of charcoal are you using 

Thanks for the reply. So far I have only been using KJ Big Block. I'll likely Branch out into Jealous Devil once I burn through my stock here. 

When I say "full" I am filing up to the top of the metal basket. Is it ok to be going above that?

When I do low and slow cooks, which have not been more than 5 hours so far, I fill my KAB up with charcoal, light half of a KJ starter in the middle of the charcoal. I wait until the starter has started the charcoal and then put in my deflectors, without doing the the pizza setup that Smokingdad uses. It may take a little longer to get up to temperature, but I get my dome fully heat soaked and do not get a lot of charcoal burning. I have enough charcoal left over to do at least one more normal cook (steak, etc) before I have to add more charcoal.

10 hours ago, Bomb Dog Barbecue said:

Thanks for the reply. So far I have only been using KJ Big Block. I'll likely Branch out into Jealous Devil once I burn through my stock here. 

When I say "full" I am filing up to the top of the metal basket. Is it ok to be going above that?

I fill my BJ up til the charcoal is just below the heat deflectors

With the SloRoller in place, you should be able to fill your Classic right up 

Theres no downside to adding more charcoal (if you have the space) so i'd fill'er up all the way 

• 2 weeks later...

I fill my KJ Classic II full every time I cook.  I have an ash basket and removed the cast iron fire floor base.  I have had 24 hour cooks... and had charcoal left over.  Shake the ash basket to get rid of the ash, leave the unburned charcoal left in the basket in the KJ, then load it up fresh again before the next cook.  Just a never ending cycle.

Tom

6 hours ago, T_om said:

I fill my KJ Classic II full every time I cook.  I have an ash basket and removed the cast iron fire floor base.  I have had 24 hour cooks... and had charcoal left over.  Shake the ash basket to get rid of the ash, leave the unburned charcoal left in the basket in the KJ, then load it up fresh again before the next cook.  Just a never ending cycle.

Tom

That's basically what I do. I don't add any more charcoal if there is a lot left in the KAB, or I am feeling lazy about adding more.

I did 2 slabs of ribs at 250 then let it keep running to see how long it would burn. Gave up after 14 hours and had coals left over. Different  brands will burn differently smoke,heat and burn time. There are a few charcoal reviews on the forum. One by Ckreef and one by John