Five Course Prime Rib Dinner

daninpd

I used the excuse of my farrier coming to shoe to cook a Prime Rib on the Joe and serve a full five course meal for him and his wife.  I didn't do a lot of photos of the cooking process because I was kinda busy.  The menu was Cajun Popcorn- crispy fried crawfish tails with Crystal sauce and blue cheese crumbles.  The Crystal sauce is from The Redfish Grill in New Orleans:  2  parts Crystal Hot Sauce to 1 part melted butter and 1 part honey, they serve it with crispy fried oysters.  Next course was Lobster Bisque (made with frozen whole lobster).  Course 3 was a Red and Gold Roasted Beet Salad with Goat Cheese Crumbles and Pistachios and a Herbes de Provence vinaigrette.  The entree was Pecan Smoked Prime Rib served with Gratin Dauphinois potatoes and Creamed Spinach.  Dessert was a Inside Out German Chocolate Cake.  

I used Adam Perry Lang's recipe for "Any Time of Year Prime Rib" which I have done before and it makes a great Prime Rib.   Lobster Bisque recipe: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/76637/perfect-lobster-bisque/    The Beet Salad recipe: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/beet-and-goat-cheese-salad-with-pistachios-107426   The German Chocolate Cake recipe: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/inside-out-german-chocolate-cake-103202   The Wines were a Sunce Vineyard Capay Valley Viognier and a Wrath K W Ranch Pinot Noir. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c6a51b664ba77f67e867b9fd664c9884.jpeg

The start of beet salads

image.thumb.jpeg.66dfc5ab5ad7bb57956c52c22e2ea596.jpeg

Starting lobster bisque

image.thumb.jpeg.bf956b3c06eac1c7ca4dccbed4acc599.jpeg

The only change I made to the recipe was boiling the lobster shells and legs in the chicken stock for 45 minutes to extract as much lobster flavor as possible.

image.thumb.jpeg.f1c0772cb1d6b4f6c01a6ded92476aa9.jpeg

Gratin Dauphinois before going in the oven.

image.thumb.jpeg.3fa9ea773665bc792ba5980953fa5bf1.jpeg

The star of the show, pulled at 128 IT.

image.thumb.jpeg.519bf6fc91e753fef466b93ff2422ebf.jpeg

Inside Out German Chocolate Cake

And now,  the Hors d'oeuvres

image.thumb.jpeg.165fdff7401a4057f1341183b75b8f75.jpeg

The Soup, Lobster Bisque

image.thumb.jpeg.bb9ebc52dc5a614480d2f2c51ab84622.jpeg

The Salad Course

image.thumb.jpeg.689e280dafd21464d54ba6c247ca20e6.jpeg

The Entree, Pecan Smoked Prime Rib with Gratin Dauphinois ans Creamed Spinach

image.thumb.jpeg.cb75318f50b39c814bcebbaaf235b836.jpeg

Dessert, Inside Out German Chocolate Cake.

image.thumb.jpeg.da6e0a41e959f05a5cd7a9e142e14b5d.jpeg

The Wines

image.thumb.jpeg.91ffb61f11964faa1d3d9bcd49454cc8.jpeg

My Farrier is about to dig in!

image.thumb.jpeg.3fb9b67558e21f77761a6fe079587fc9.jpeg

14 hours ago, deck said:

Great cook! Definitely going to have to try that cake! I like the sauce for the crayfish tails. I bet that sauce would be great on some wings! Simple and easy.

The Crystal sauce is great on any fried seafood and wings are probably next in line.  Be sure to check your hot sauce for heat and vinegar because Louisiana sauces have a wide spectrum.  Crystal is sort-of in the Goldilocks zone with a nice balance of everything to make this.

1 hour ago, Grill_Boy said:

That's illegal eating like that ain't it ??

I'm calling my congressman .. there oughtta be a law

There probably are laws against that meal, like sugary drinks in New York.  Tell the guy in that last picture what he can't eat.  It will be a short conversation.:-D

5 hours ago, adm said:

That looks great. I might have to get into the Farrier trade if that's how they get paid!

If you own horses it's a good idea to have more than one vet in your contacts and one reliable, knowledgeable and capable horse shoer.  And treat him like gold.

1 hour ago, daninpd said:

If you own horses it's a good idea to have more than one vet in your contacts and one reliable, knowledgeable and capable horse shoer.  And treat him like gold.

:-) I live with several very big, very high energy dogs, so have multiple vets in my address book. They don't need shoed though which is a small mercy as they are already expensive enough. I just had 100lbs of raw chicken mince and green beef tripe delivered today to feed them!