Random Pictures Thread - John Setzler

8 minutes ago, Beermachine said:

Hi John,

For those of us who did not abuse the RPT, is there anyway you can open it back up and ban people that choose not to follow the rules?

Thanks for all you do to keep this site going, we all appreciate your efforts.

Beermachine

Yes I agree - no point in punishing everyone for a couple of bad apples. 

Some of the political stuff was just downright nasty, but some was actually pretty funny.  And it's not a fine line.  I can enjoy someone poking fun at my views and beliefs and I may poke fun at your candidate and views.  But I know the difference between poking fun and being a a$$hole.

PS - I didn't close this thread down and change the rules just for fun.  I was perfectly fine ignoring the problem.  I had people coming to me asking me to shut it down.  If we just open it back up, it will only be a matter of time until this problem repeats itself.  I have been in this 'business' long enough to know that its gonna happen again.   

16 hours ago, John Setzler said:

PS - I didn't close this thread down and change the rules just for fun.  I was perfectly fine ignoring the problem.  I had people coming to me asking me to shut it down.  If we just open it back up, it will only be a matter of time until this problem repeats itself.  I have been in this 'business' long enough to know that its gonna happen again.   

I don't understand why someone would take offense at a thread and ask it to be closed down just because THEY don't like it. It is their choice to read it or ignore it. It is called personal choice. 

54 minutes ago, robertyb said:

I don't understand why someone would take offense at a thread and ask it to be closed down just because THEY don't like it. It is their choice to read it or ignore it. It is called personal choice. 

I guess I partially agree. I remember participating in a discussion that was shut down early on in relation to outrageous claims of how many Americans were going to die of CovID and I thought it typically thin-skinned of the social media age. But the photobombing and spam like back and forth that was going on in the random picture thread was just beyond the pale. I had only recently started participating in it and the posts literally took over the thread And probably, we would have been better served if they had just decided to send the posts to each others inboxes. 

Speaking of which, I recently discovered the origin of the term 'beyond the pale'. Pretty interesting stuff that. :-D

I was offended by what the thread was turning into. Something light hearted and humorous had turned into something a few were using to express their political bashing views. I don't think it was a matter of not liking the posts but a matter of this isn`t the forum for that type of posting. 

7 hours ago, robertyb said:

Then you don't understand the nature of people, politics/religion, and how they intermingle on social media.

6 hours ago, len440 said:

I was offended by what the thread was turning into. Something light hearted and humorous had turned into something a few were using to express their political bashing views. I don't think it was a matter of not liking the posts but a matter of this isn`t the forum for that type of posting. 

This isn't the forum for that type of posting, but as you can see I am being asked to bring it back.  I am simply waiting for someone to suggest the rules and how it will be managed.  If we are going to allow that sort of content to exist freely on a barbecue and grilling site, I don't want to have to deal with another set of butt hurt people when it gets out of control again.  

1 hour ago, John Setzler said:

I don't want to have to deal with another set of butt hurt people when it gets out of control again. 

I apologize if my post near the end of that thread came off as butt hurt. I still think a thread full of Facebook political memes is a massive pile of garbage regardless of which side the memes are attacking. I never asked for that thread to be locked, I just commented that it was moronic. If it is brought back then of course I can choose not to click on it. 

The rules should be the same as any other thread on the forum. If someone gets out of hand have a moderator issue a warning to them and if they persist then ban them for a while. If they come back and do it again ban them for life. 

And btw John. As a Revenue Agent for 34 years of my life I think I know people fairly well plus I was a moderator for another forum for several years.  :)

@DrunkenMeatFist It wasn't you... here's what happened....

One of the forum members complained to me on multiple instances about the political content in that thread.  I asked the participant to just ignore the thread since it was in the cooler section and was basically unmoderated.  My suggestion wasn't good enough so the participant decided to go to the thread and escalate the problem so my hand would be forced in dealing with it.  He was successful.  Several more people started messaging me asking me to deal with it.  That included more than one moderator of the forum.  The forum participant got himself and one other member suspended for it.  

My opinion on this is simple.  When I have to step in to moderate something because adults are behaving like children, It's time to apply a fix to the problem and fix it to the point where I don't have to deal with it again.