Rack of Pork

I picked up this beautiful Rack of Pork at Costco last week and couldn't wait to cook it!  I had never cooked one of these before.  Since this is the "Prime Rib of the Pig" I decided to treat it just like a beef prime rib roast.  I fired up the @Masterbuilt Gravity Series 1050 smoker and got it nice and hot.  I put a 500°F browning on the outside of this roast and then quickly ramped down to 250°F to finish it off.  

Sticking closely with my agenda of salting and seasoning meat well in advance of the cook, I prepared a batch of my cinnamon molasses wet brine for this roast.  I figured I needed about a gallon so here's what went in that:

1 gallon of water (divided)
1 cup kosher salt
1 cup molasses
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
6 cloves smashed garlic
6 cinnamon sticks
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Chill 3 quarts of the water in the fridge.  Put the other quart in a saucepan, heat it, add the brine ingredients and bring to a simmer.  Remove from heat, cover, and let cool for anywhere between 10 minutes and room temperature.  Pour the brine mixture into the remaining 3 quarts of cold water and chill to below 40°F.  

I did my brine in the Briner Bucket but you can do it in a large ziploc bag if you choose.  Let it brine for at least 12 hours.  24 would be even better on a roast this size.  When you remove this roast from the brine to cook it, just pat it dry on the outside with paper towels.  Don't rinse it.  

You can use the two-stage cook I did in the video by using your indoor oven for the 500 degree stage if you choose.  You may also choose to skip the 500°F stage if you wish.  

Give this a try and let me know what you think!

#Masterbuilt #RackOfPork #AtlantaGrillCompany

9 minutes ago, anonymouse said:

I made the exact same purchase at Costco and am going to try your technique. Couple questions - How long did you sear at 500? how long did it take to ramp down from 500 to 250? and then how long did it take to get done? Did you do this direct or indirect?

All of these questions are answered in the video....

about 15 minutes at 500...

it took about 10 to 12 minutes to cool down to 250...

indirect. Indirect is really the only way this system works.