Kamado Joe Classic III Air Hinge Stuck Open

Bugye_Wrx

Hello Everyone! 

First time Kamado owner, and also a first time user of this forum. I recently purchased a Kamado Joe Classic III. Through a series of dumb moves while trying to locate the grill to my back deck alone, I decided to remove the lid to make the task easier. When I went to re-assemble, I realized that I made a mistake. The hinge is now stuck in the fully open position. When I mount the hinge to the bottom portion, then attach the lid, it does not close entirely in the back - leaving a 1 inch gap where the lid does not seal. 

I've attached a picture to illustrate the current state of the hinge. Does anyone know how to get this compressed back to the closed position, or am I SOL?

20201221_153429.jpg

Bummr... there are some instructions in the owner's manual about this and that little bag of parts that includes a metal tube and a washer.  Those need to be installed on the hinge bolt from underneath to lock the spring in the closed position before you disassemble the system.  I would refer you to Kamado Joe for instructions on fixing it from here.  I don't know what the best answer is..................

The only thing I could suggest is to mount it to the bottom ring on the base. Then have some friends hold the lid to the open hinge, so the angle lines up with the bolts in the ring and get the bolts started. Don't try and fully tighten it up just get it sung. You can then use the weight of the top to close the hinge. You can then get the spacer and nut installed on the bolt on the spring, inside the mount, to hold it closed. Then you can readjust all the ring nuts for a proper fit, remove the nut and spacer and then adjust the hinge for proper closing.

• 1 year later...