Fireboard 2 w/blower mounting for lower vent

Dogstar

Planning to order a Fireboard controller, but I'm not sure about vent sizing for mounting their blower.

Fireboard has a compatibility list of BBQ brands and models the blower shield should fit, but the unfortunately no Kamado Joe's are on that list.  I don't know if that's because most Kamado's share the same size lower vents or what?

So my question is, should the stock shields that come with the Fireboard blower work with the KJ Classic III (or any of the KJ's for that matter?  Are all the lower KJ vents the same size, or the same within product lines (Classic vs Big Joe)?  And are KJ vents the same size as other Kamado brands (with the same type of "slide over" lower vent)?

@Dogstar I use mine on my classic 3 and classic 2 without any adapter.  It's not an absolutely perfect fit but it works with no issues.  I am NOT a fan of the way the FB fan connects to those adapter plates AT ALL.  

If you feel like you need a perfect fit between the fan adapter plate and the lower vent, get something else.  The thin flimsy metal adapter that connects the flame boss fan makes perfect fits for the flame boss fan on the Kamado Joe stuff.  

I still prefer the fireboard fan.

Hi John:

I do hope to use the Fireboard Drive Blower Fan.

Is the Fireboard fan that you have the one that Ted Conrad, CEO of Fireboard, describes as their "New Drive Blower", or their older version?  The New Drive Blower

Here is an example video attaching the New Fireboard Fan Blower to a BBQ.  Attaching the New Fan Blower

If the above items do not help, do you think that getting this FlameBoss Kamado Adapter Set might work with the Fireboard Drive Blower?  The Flame Boss Kamado Adapter Set

Alternatively, I've got some tin snips and a drill, and I can probably find a small piece of aluminum.

13 hours ago, Dogstar said:

Hi John:

I do hope to use the Fireboard Drive Blower Fan.

Is the Fireboard fan that you have the one that Ted Conrad, CEO of Fireboard, describes as their "New Drive Blower", or their older version?  The New Drive Blower

Here is an example video attaching the New Fireboard Fan Blower to a BBQ.  Attaching the New Fan Blower

If the above items do not help, do you think that getting this FlameBoss Kamado Adapter Set might work with the Fireboard Drive Blower?  The Flame Boss Kamado Adapter Set

Alternatively, I've got some tin snips and a drill, and I can probably find a small piece of aluminum.

The new blower is the one I have and it will not work with the flame boss plates.  I'm serious when I say that it works fine on a classic without any adapter.  I have been using it on both of mine with zero issues since I got it.

I communicated with Fireboard customer service this morning.  They're working on a new plates for fitment with KJ's, but they're not ready yet and no ETA because they're working on other projects at the moment.

But based on your comments, I'll take it the way it comes, and go from there.  I can make one if I'm not satisfied with the way it fits without it.

20 hours ago, Dogstar said:

I communicated with Fireboard customer service this morning.  They're working on a new plates for fitment with KJ's, but they're not ready yet and no ETA because they're working on other projects at the moment.

But based on your comments, I'll take it the way it comes, and go from there.  I can make one if I'm not satisfied with the way it fits without it.

You won't be disappointed.  If you need, I can make a couple photos showing you how mine fits on my Classic.  For me, I'm super happy with the build quality on that Fireboard fan.  I'm willing to deal with the fact that it's not a perfect fit to have it.  And like I said, I have had no issues of any kind with it.

3 hours ago, John Setzler said:

You won't be disappointed.  If you need, I can make a couple photos showing you how mine fits on my Classic.  For me, I'm super happy with the build quality on that Fireboard fan.  I'm willing to deal with the fact that it's not a perfect fit to have it.  And like I said, I have had no issues of any kind with it.

Thanks for the feedback John.  Fireboard hasn't even made the version 2 Pro available for purchase yet (as of 12/23/2020).  Once I have a 2 Pro in hand, I'll have better idea of what, if anything, I'll do about the mounting.  I expect I'll end up using it exactly as you do at first.  Later, if I end up fabricating a mounting, I'll post about it.

Happy Holidays and thanks for the help and insight!