Smoking stone orders?

Well, FedEx lost my smoking stone. The tracking info showed delivered (left at front door) and it is not here. I have been here all day and there has not been a delivery. I have a call in to customer service and they are trying to find out what happened. I'm not a happy camper!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably not much difference in function. The stone is not that expensive at $40 to me. There are some pizza stones that cost that much or more. It is the correct size for the CGK allowing the proper amount of heat flow around the outsides of it. I don't plan to wrap it since I can set my drip pan directly on top of it when needed. I have done some good indirect cooks with the Weber rack setup but I mostly just want to try the factory stone. If you are completely satisfied with your setup, by all means stick with it.

what's the difference in using the expensive stone and the youtube suggestion of using an aluminum wrapped weber grill grate with the pizza stone on it?

May Fed Ex come through for you, smokeyw.

Just wondering if anyone has used their smoking stone yet. A review would be great.

John, did CG ever give you an answer on providing a review stone to you?

May Fed Ex come through for you, smokeyw.

Just wondering if anyone has used their smoking stone yet. A review would be great.

John, did CG ever give you an answer on providing a review stone to you?

Somehow reviewing a stone strikes me as odd! :lol:

I used the stone (I have zero experience with stones for cooking) yesterday to low smoke a couple of Cornish Game hens, before cranking the temp up to finish bake them.

I had been using a 15" pizza pan as a diffuser. I aimed for 225 to smoke the chickenettes for about 45 minutes with Applewood chunks I placed on the lump RO charcoal.

I started with both vents at about 1.5 till the temp got to 160, them closed them to 3/4. At 210 I put both at about 1/4. The temp settled nicely around 225 and 'seemed' to me to be more stable during the smoking period than with the pizza pan.

After the 45 minutes of smoke, I opened both vents to 3/4 and brought the temp to 325. I then adjusted the bottom vent to barely open till I got 350, and played with the top vent to stabalize.

Again it seemed to more stable. I only had to bake about 30 minutes till the little hens breasts were at 175 (ever tried to put a digital thermometer probe in a Cornish Game breast??? :x

I think it is going to be well worth buying. I hope to do an overnight brisket this weekend, that will be a better test, IMHO.

Ken

I can't make up my mind if I should buy the smokin' stone or not. For those of you who implemented the charcoal grate / pizza pan solution prior to getting a smokin' stone, I'd love to hear your thoughts and comparisons of the two methods. My thought (without having used the smokin' stone) are:

1. The charcoal grate / pizza pan option works and only costs $14 with no risk of breakage. Cutting the pizza pan in half gives you a nice direct/indirect setup as well.

2. The smokin' stone is heavier, $40 delivered, and break risk is always a factor when handling it.

Over the years in my WSM , I went from water pan, sand in water pan, 14 lb cast iron diffuser, to foiled shallow pan.

My daughter an engineer told me that other than the water the rest just block the direct heat , they are not "heat sinks"

I'm cheap, after reading johns posts , I'm using a grate & pizza pan I had lying around.

Pizza Stone I'm conflicted, I've got a 14 lb cast iron one, but stone may be better?

If you look at page 17 in the owners manual they show four set ups. One has the smoking stone with the drip pan and meat rack on the main grill. One has the drip pan on the smoking stone and the meat rack on the main grill exposed. The next shows the drip pan directly on the stone with the meat rack in side. The last shows a pizza stone on the main grill and no smoking stone and the pan is directly on the stone with the meat rack inside. They list all of these as suitable for smoking.

I have done the last with the pizza stone and water in the pan for a rib roast. The only thing is I should not have put two cups of chips like they said in the manual. Other than being a little too smoky it was delish and moist.

Can anyone tell me where the smoking stones can be purchased? The Char griller website shop says they don't have them and I can't find anything on google. While I got a 16" walmart pizza pan, I'm thinking I like the versatility of the smoking stone able to use it as a pizza pan as well.

Thanks!

Can anyone tell me where the smoking stones can be purchased? The Char griller website shop says they don't have them and I can't find anything on google. While I got a 16" walmart pizza pan, I'm thinking I like the versatility of the smoking stone able to use it as a pizza pan as well.

Thanks!

Try calling into Char-Griller to order it over the phone. As far as I can tell Char-Griller is the only place to order them as of now.