Napoleon Kettle added to the fleet

KamadoChris

My darling wife surprised me with a Napoleon kettle for Christmas! I’ve wanted to add one to the lineup for awhile now. Fired it up and cooked some sausages for lunch just to test it out.  I think this is going to fill that quick week-night need of cooking burgers and what not where I only need 20 mins of heat and don’t want to get the LG preheated and fired up.  I need to go out and get a chimney soon, she got me a bag of RO briquettes and they seemed hard to get lit although it was the first time I’ve used briquettes over lump.  Going to grab a bag of Kingsford as well if I can find it to try. 3227C884-27C6-4F58-B1C1-1404697678DB.thumb.jpeg.deffe6bd9b918e62af5dd2348b45a037.jpegQuality seems pretty good on this and I like the ash catching bucket over the Weber kettle. 

9 hours ago, 1MoreFord said:

Your better half got you a nice grill.  Congrats!  She's a keeper.

Please feed it good charcoal - Not Kingsford.:sad:

Thanks @1MoreFord. What's a good recommendation for briquettes?  I'm fairly limited in variety up here that I can get locally but I'll take a look around.

Check out the Maple Leaf or Xylo brands out of Quebec.  Available at several places around Cambridge area.  There is another brand being offered by Strodes in Brantford but for the life of me I cannot remember the name.  It’s in a green and white bag and they sell a ton of it apparently. www.strodes.ca. 

Cooked up a nice venison backstrap from one of this year's deer last night, got the coals going better last night with a blow torch and heat gun but underestimated how much charcoal I needed in there, but still managed to cook a tasty steak, didn't quite get the colour on the meat I was looking for but no matter I hit it on high heat in a cast iron reverse sear after and it was delicious, flavour was outstanding.  My charcoal chimney arrived this morning so should be off to the races for the next cook.  Surprised with how much ash compared to my kamado this generates, but definitely faster startup and should fill these week night gaps nicely.

On 1/3/2021 at 10:20 PM, JeffieBoy said:

Check out the Maple Leaf or Xylo brands out of Quebec.  Available at several places around Cambridge area.  There is another brand being offered by Strodes in Brantford but for the life of me I cannot remember the name.  It’s in a green and white bag and they sell a ton of it apparently. www.strodes.ca. 

I had no idea about that Strodes place, I'm like 35 minutes from there so whenever we get out from lockdown I'll be making a visit.  Thanks for the recommendation!

@Kamado Chris if you want to cut down on ash Napoleon has an offering “Coconut Shell Briquettes”  that I here in the states get off Amazon. 
It is an extruded briquette about 6-8 “ long with a hole in the center. Bit difficult to light but burns hot and burns a loooooong time. Very little ash content.

I run the stuff in my Kettle, PK Original and Hastybake Gourmet. Both for long low and slow and hot and fast cooks.

This coconut shell charcoal is a bit pricey but seeing how its a Napoleon product it may be cheaper in Canada. However in my opinion it is worth the price.

- Amazon routinely runs sales on another Coconut Charcoal called “Blazing Coconut Husk Briquettes” that is another good one.

- Lastly ash content is a tad more than lump but you can use it in your Kamado. Works good for baking due to neutral smoke generated.

@Vanolethank you for the recommendation. I did see the Napoleon coconut shell on the Home Depot website, but it wasn’t available at my local store. I’ll look around for some to try, supply of charcoal locally has been spotty this last year, but stock seems to be getting better as of late.