New KJ Brand Rotisserie baskets

KJ Quietly released new Rotisserie baskets recently.  I was shocked to see them.  They look interesting.  It looks like KJ departed from conventional all stainless to a mix of metals.  The flat basket is deeper than many flat baskets on the market.

It also features a quick connect kit to make basket swaps quick.  It looks interesting.

Has anyone bought the new baskets yet?

30369CDD-637F-4ACD-A851-4D998BA26E0A.png

A9108EAD-809D-4650-95F9-DB3CC585BE87.png

• 2 weeks later...

Looks overly complicated and at $169 it seems way over priced. I like the idea of being able to use the basket in my gas grill with the rotisserie for sides or veggies, but with that bracket system I would probably have to take my grill apart for it to fit, if it would fit at all.  

Classic case of taking something simple and over engineering it. Agree with the Bear wonder what its coated with. Hope it's not the same stuff that's on the Kontrol tower, we know how that works.

7 hours ago, len440 said:

Hope it's not the same stuff that's on the Kontrol tower, we know how that works.

Kontrol Tower

DoeJoe

Joetissery 

SloRoller 

All seem to be coated with the same black paint 

All peel at one point or another 

I like that the basket doesnt have a rod through the middle of it like other designed but the price point coupled with the likely hood that i'll have to get all the paint blasted off it (like i did with my Kontrol Tower) means its a hard pass for me

I look forward to the 900 threads here of people asking "is this a warrenty issue" in the coming months...

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2021 at 3:45 PM, Polar Bear said:

Kontrol Tower

DoeJoe

Joetissery 

SloRoller 

All seem to be coated with the same black paint 

All peel at one point or another 

I like that the basket doesnt have a rod through the middle of it like other designed but the price point coupled with the likely hood that i'll have to get all the paint blasted off it (like i did with my Kontrol Tower) means its a hard pass for me

I look forward to the 900 threads here of people asking "is this a warrenty issue" in the coming months...

I’m a little puzzled why they didn’t choose stainless instead.  

Everything except the KJ Sloroller would benefit from going stainless. 

The baskets would be required to use food safe paint.  

My Sloroller stated pealing after a 250 F brisket cook. 

4 hours ago, Charcoal Addict said:

I’m a little puzzled why they didn’t choose stainless instead.  

Everything except the KJ Sloroller would benefit from going stainless. 

The baskets would be required to use food safe paint.  

My Sloroller stated pealing after a 250 F brisket cook. 

SS anything costs way more to produce than aluminum and a can of food safe paint...

Edited by Polar Bear

15 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

SS anything costs way more to produce than aluminum and a can of food safe paint...

Most people buying KJ are already spending a pretty penny.  It doesn’t make much sense to cost reduce accessories.

Most KJ owners will splurge for stainless.

I purchased this basket

https://www.amazon.ca/Napoleon-64000-Rotisserie-Grill-Basket/dp/B078YCR3MH/ref=sr_1_1?crid=35OVVK3FHXWC8&dchild=1&keywords=napoleon+basket&qid=1610661795&sprefix=napolean%2Caps%2C249&sr=8-1

Tight fit but works fine in my Kamado Joe Classic.. and is Stainless steel. I did also purchase 2 shorter set screws  to avoid hang ups on the basket against the grill  for an extra $0.50 cnd each .. will keep using for a long time given the price KJ is asking for their version now available.

9 hours ago, Charcoal Addict said:

Most people buying KJ are already spending a pretty penny.  It doesn’t make much sense to cost reduce accessories.

Most KJ owners will splurge for stainless.

6 hours ago, SPD500 said:

At that price point there is no reason to consider production cost as an issue. It is priced over double the price of nicer products. 

That KJ badge brings with it a fair amount of customer loyalty, but that only goes so far

While I agree KJ users will happily pay more than they should for certain KJ products, making this design in stainless (and keeping the same profit margins) would likely push this over the $250+ due to not only the increase in cost of materials but also tooling and production

A good example of this: 

The Standard Kontrol Tower retails for $50 from KJ 

After a quick google, I found the Stainless Steel Kontrol Tower for sale (from a EU retailer) for 349euro ($424us)

Obviously, taxes, freight, different markets ect all influence the price of the SS Kontrol Tower, but there even if you take all of that into account, there is still a considerable difference in price between the two

Maybe i'm alone here, but my desire to keep all my grill stuff matching affords KJ a bit of a premium, but when you can pick up a Napoleon basket for $99, expecting me to pay more than double for one with a KJ badge on it is a bit of a stretch

(Link to the SS Kontrol Tower for anyone interested: STAINLESS STEEL KONTROL TOWER TOP VENT KAMADO JOE por 349 Euros (topbarbacoas.com))

@Polar BearTotally agree.. Loyal to Kamado Joe accessories but this piece has so many wondering s 1). the coating of the basket.. is it made of the same material as the kontrol tower/rotisserie etc.. and with it contaminate the food if so?  2) The size of the basket vs the Napoleon I'm currently using.. the size seems to be rather smaller than what I am using now..3) I see no paddles in the Kamado Joe version of the basket.. I feel this is a good feature to allow for wings/veggies etc.. to be able to be separated and mixed while on the rotisserie.. to each their own.. but lots of questions on such a premium piece to be considered 

12 hours ago, Kamado Smoke said:

@Polar BearTotally agree.. Loyal to Kamado Joe accessories but this piece has so many wondering s 1). the coating of the basket.. is it made of the same material as the kontrol tower/rotisserie etc.. and with it contaminate the food if so?  2) The size of the basket vs the Napoleon I'm currently using.. the size seems to be rather smaller than what I am using now..3) I see no paddles in the Kamado Joe version of the basket.. I feel this is a good feature to allow for wings/veggies etc.. to be able to be separated and mixed while on the rotisserie.. to each their own.. but lots of questions on such a premium piece to be considered 

I doubt they would use the same paint as the Kontrol tower.  It would have to be food safe.

On 1/16/2021 at 2:28 AM, Charcoal Addict said:

I doubt they would use the same paint as the Kontrol tower.  It would have to be food safe.

With all the paint flaking off the towers and on to peoples food, I would hope the paint is food safe...

If it wasn't, the known issue and risk would have triggered a product recall