new to these grills

bobnof

hi all, i was given a kamado grill as a gift. it is the smallest one. instructions are pretty light. it comes with a flat ceramic ''disc'' that is not listed in parts list. does this get laid on the charcoal when ready to bake so food is not burned?

bob

Welcome to the forum and kamado ownership. The ceramic plate will not actually sit on the coals directly, it should sit above the coals for indirect heat. Usually there is a wire rack, or other means of holding the plate in place above the fire. I did a Google search and found that Home Depot carries that brand and has several documents that you can view on their listing, maybe that will help. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lifesmart-15-in-Kamado-Ceramic-Grill-Smoker-Value-Bundle-with-Electric-Starter-Cover-and-Cooking-Stone-in-Blue-SCS-K15B/308147612?mtc=SEM-B-F_D28I-G-D28I-28_22_BBQ_GRILL-MULTI-NA-NA-DSA-NA-NA-BASE_NB&cm_mmc=SEM-B-F_D28I-G-D28I-28_22_BBQ_GRILL-MULTI-NA-NA-DSA-NA-NA-BASE_NB-71700000032344838-58700005683077909-39700051777678848&gclid=CjwKCAiAxKv_BRBdEiwAyd40N9dFtFq5ORKae46JubIrtY6My1WiE72PFpSBQO6MLmULa6orS0QTxhoCFCEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

thanks to all who replied. plenty of good info in the book of knowledge to get me going. my heat deflector is meant to attach to the bottom of the food grill. that won't work for a lot of cooking but now that i have a pretty good idea of how it is all supposed to work i can improvise something to keep the deflector a few inches above the coals, not attached to the food grate. thanks again.

bob

14 hours ago, bobnof said:

thanks to all who replied. plenty of good info in the book of knowledge to get me going. my heat deflector is meant to attach to the bottom of the food grill. that won't work for a lot of cooking but now that i have a pretty good idea of how it is all supposed to work i can improvise something to keep the deflector a few inches above the coals, not attached to the food grate. thanks again.

bob

Looking at the documentation for that grill it looks like the heat deflector on that grill is also capable of being used as a pizza stone. I have yet to try pizza on these grills, but lots of people post some great looking results so it seems like a nice feature to have. 

That's a heck of a gift! 

Only one problem. You will very likely be bitten by the kamado bug like many on the forum. 

Butt don't worry, it's not life threatening. You just become a staunch advocate for using a "coal-fired convection oven"! Honestly, it's fun! 

My therapist says I will be able to pass by a gas grill without gagging in a few more weeks of therapy! 

Sincerely, good luck! 

Use this forum for guidance, ideas and therapy! 

{the preceeding meager attempt at humor is meant only in jest. I actually own a fine Char-Broil four burner propane grill}

20 hours ago, Herman Munster said:

Too bad their so small . You can't really use it like a full size kamado . It's ok for a couple of burgers or a steak . But low and slow won't go . Herman

I did pulled pork on my Akorn Jr this past weekend and it did great, I did ribs on it last week and they were amazing. The smaller grill seems to do low and slow just fine, but you are limited to the size of what you can fit on the grill. To be able to do two racks of baby back ribs on mine I had to use the rack and cut them in half before putting on the grill. 

On 12/29/2020 at 7:36 AM, bobnof said:

hi all, i was given a kamado grill as a gift. it is the smallest one. instructions are pretty light. it comes with a flat ceramic ''disc'' that is not listed in parts list. does this get laid on the charcoal when ready to bake so food is not burned?

bob

Yes, it fits perfectly inside the triangle rack underneath your food grate. It's used for indirect cooking. Use it for slow cooking but not for searing steaks and burgers.  Read up on direct/indirect cooking.  I assume you have the Joe Jr?  If not, I can't help you.