Pizzas

Made six pizzas on by Classic and my Big Joe last night.  Turned out great.  Temps were 450-500. I’m learning to let the kamado(s) come up to temp slower and spend more time heat soaking.  Also, to reduce stress and avoid ruining pizzas, I set the oven to low broil in case there’s a need to finish the top more so people will get desired crust...finishes perfect and you still get that same great taste.  

0FFB6A11-781A-4860-93F2-2AFB7A1FF78D.jpeg

B5AD7810-C4A6-4471-9320-9B49810B93B9.jpeg

Nice round pizza!  As you can see ours was not quite as round, not even rectangular, shaped more like an amoeba.  Delicious nevertheless.  

This was our second pizza fest on the Classic II with the fourth and final pepperoni pizza pictured.  I lifted the stone with two fire bricks about as high as it would go into the dome before the pizza would hit the temperature probe.  Crust and top finished nicely in sync together.  

Brought the dome temp up to around 700F with the pizza stone registering 575-600F+.  At 4 minutes I gave the pizza a 90 degree turn and they were pulled off at 6 minutes.

Told the wife I like round pizzas - she told me to shut up and get out of the kitchen.  So I went back out to the fire with a nice cold IPA.

pizza.thumb.jpg.4dfd578fb9a9dded48de271e473f8f96.jpg

setup.thumb.jpg.e18eb0e4cb793dc46dc0b624f5bb8c96.jpg

1 hour ago, Gross said:

Nice round pizza!  As you can see ours was not quite as round, not even rectangular, shaped more like an amoeba.  Delicious nevertheless.  

This was our second pizza fest on the Classic II with the fourth and final pepperoni pizza pictured.  I lifted the stone with two fire bricks about as high as it would go into the dome before the pizza would hit the temperature probe.  Crust and top finished nicely in sync together.  

Brought the dome temp up to around 700F with the pizza stone registering 575-600F+.  At 4 minutes I gave the pizza a 90 degree turn and they were pulled off at 6 minutes.

Told the wife I like round pizzas - she told me to shut up and get out of the kitchen.  So I went back out to the fire with a nice cold IPA.

pizza.thumb.jpg.4dfd578fb9a9dded48de271e473f8f96.jpg

setup.thumb.jpg.e18eb0e4cb793dc46dc0b624f5bb8c96.jpg

Although I don’t have it pictured my setup is a bit different in that I put my d n c rack in, grills on top level then deflectors on that followed by 1” spacers then the pizza stone.  I would think our pizza stones both end up around the same height.  Would you mind measuring from the top of you pizza stone to the rim of your base for curiousity?

As for the shape, they all taste the same going down.  Lol. 

I plan on trying a higher temp next time to get them done quicker but with two kamados going, things can get a bit hectic. 

I use 2 pizza stones on top of the deflectors, works really well.  For round pizzas I eventually realised it's essential to use plenty flour between dough and work surface, to allow that dough to spread easily.