Best pizza stone for a Kamado

I have only had my kamado for 5 days (cooked in it 3 times already), so I am still learning.  Last night I attempted pizzas, which were hugely successful and very popular with the girlfriend.  However, the high heat (500-550) cracked my thin pizza stone.

I am sure there is a thread on this somewhere, is there a minimum thickness/quality for a pizza stone?  I know a few guys will recommend the Kamado Joe stone, however, they are difficult to find in Sydney.  The stone that I cracked was just our old thin oven stone, it was likely very brittle and couldn’t handle the heat.

Any recommendations/assistance would be appreciated, the girlfriend is keen to do the pizzas again.

I've had my Broil King grilling stone for years and has never cracked or chipped after years of abuse as heat deflector, pizza stone etc.  3/4" thick x 15" diameter.  I would buy it again based on my experience.

https://broilkingbbq.com/en_ca/accessories/grilling_stone/

That said, I much prefer my baking steel and rarely use the stone any more....I find the results superior and it will last 1000 years (long as you don't let it rust out).  I also use it regularly on the grill, on my gas stovetop, use it for Smashburgers, searing steaks etc.  Very versatile.  I also freeze it for charcuterie plates (keeps things chilled) as well.

www.bakingsteel.com

Cheers for your help.  I’m going to have a look on Amazon and see what I can get, I think mine was just too brittle for the high heat. 

The Steel looks interesting. I suppose most pizza shops use aluminium/steel trays, so it makes sense. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2021 at 4:03 AM, Buget said:

Cheers for your help.  I’m going to have a look on Amazon and see what I can get, I think mine was just too brittle for the high heat. 

The Steel looks interesting. I suppose most pizza shops use aluminium/steel trays, so it makes sense. 

Be careful with the pizza steel on Kamado. These are better for the home oven and designed to quickly absorb heat and transfer to the dough.

A stone will heat up, pass on the radiant heat and then slowly continue to radiate even heat. Whereas on the steel the heat acquisition and dissipation is much faster. Easier to control temperature with steel but you will need to cook at a lower target temperature.

My experience with dozens of kamado cooked pizzas on 3/8" steel does not agree with your comments TBH.  600 degree steel pizza is amazing and I find the perfect sweet spot.  This is with 00 dough, no sugar, no oil etc....as close to Neapolitan style as I have been able to create...about 5 minutes to cook.

I have an Ooni Pro for 1000 degree temps but still use the factory stones that came with.  Some Ooni owners are using steel at those temps though.

I never liked bringing the kamado up over 600-700.  Past that I think is crazy stuff...particularly with a $2000 ceramic.  Out of my comfort zone for sure!

I wish my body tolerated more carbs....I could eat these 3 times a week.

image.thumb.png.181ff94d82c1cbeff86ca4785d8a3316.png

• 2 weeks later...

I got a 15" dia. 5/8" thick Unicook off of Amazon.  Made a half dozen pizzas with it so far and so far...so good.  Love it.

I'd say pizza shops - good ones - cook on ceramic, and then serve on steel...they don't cook on steel.

GL!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/15/2021 at 3:15 AM, SmallBBQr said:

I have an Ooni Pro for 1000 degree temps but still use the factory stones that came with.  Some Ooni owners are using steel at those temps though.

I never liked bringing the kamado up over 600-700.  Past that I think is crazy stuff...particularly with a $2000 ceramic.  Out of my comfort zone for sure!

I wish my body tolerated more carbs....I could eat these 3 times a week.

image.thumb.png.181ff94d82c1cbeff86ca4785d8a3316.png

Soo Delicious!

On 1/30/2021 at 10:32 AM, chickenwings said:

I'd say pizza shops - good ones - cook on ceramic, and then serve on steel...they don't cook on steel.

If we are specifically talking about Neapolitan style pizza, I would agree with you, but very few kamado owners cook their pizzas at 900+ degrees - i.e.  you ain't doing Neapolitan pizza.

There is a lot of amazing pizza in North American...and most of it is not done in wood fired ovens - it's done on/in metal pans at much lower temps.

On 4/21/2021 at 7:42 AM, SmallBBQr said:

If we are specifically talking about Neapolitan style pizza, I would agree with you, but very few kamado owners cook their pizzas at 900+ degrees - i.e.  you ain't doing Neapolitan pizza.

This is the common thought and actually one I held until I read Ken Forkish's book "the Elements of Pizza".  Forkish is truly a pizzaiolo,  and wrote a James Beard Award winning book on pizza dough called Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast. He has three pizza restaurants in Portland Oregon and is pretty renowned in the world of pizza chefs. In short his take is, it is all about the dough, it's recipe, hydration,  and the way you prepare it.  In the Elements of Pizza he teaches you techniques and gives a number of recipes that allow you to cook pizzas very comparable to Neapolitan pies but   at 500 degrees in a home oven. I find his recipes a perfect compliment for Kamado pizza cooking, and highly recommend the book.  By the way, the best stones I have found are made of cordierite and 1/2 to 5/8 ' thick. I have two from BGE and one I purchased off Amazon. Rotate the dirty side down during a pizza cook and you will have a clean stone, like in this pic for your next cook. 

57706538687__B977EB7E-596A-4033-B5B6-A1C1B359A8C5.thumb.JPG.1d25a47a9597f477e30a717a25591fa9.JPG

57706596822__6EA98161-C682-4BB2-8BE7-3A8627C740DA.thumb.JPG.170445e346e1370d0836e0622986f57a.JPG