so I went to our butcher and asked for 2.5” bone in tomahawk ribeyes. He comes back out with 3 steaks that are at least 3” thick and he cut the tomahawk handle off. I was less than happy, but decided to take them anyway because they’d cook up okay without the handle.

Because of the thickness, I went at 225 until they hit 115, let them rest and come up to 122 while the Big Joe III got up to around 650, then seared them off for about 45 seconds per side. Rested again and bam! Ready to go...and served them up with some Cajun grilled shrimp. Delicious.

59CE8717-331A-400A-BBD9-9A2FE1119A73.jpeg

E7ADA8E7-4DAB-4577-B3DE-A5ECC0829E55.jpeg

F4D858D5-0476-4920-9D70-63BEE45FB8C0.jpeg

7B68BA24-C40D-45C9-97AB-F4E8E907868B.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Never understood the idea of tomahawk steaks

All that extra bone is weight you end up paying for that adds nothing to the final product

Steaks look good though  

thanks, they were so tender too. Also, side note...I got to use my new Meater too, and love being able to drive to the store and still follow my cook.

1 minute ago, Vanole said:

I would give you my right arm (warning it's pretty useless and sling bound for 5 more weeks min) for one of those rib-eyes. I know its bad but I would just eat left handed and inhale before you knew it.

Really nice job I have huge rib-eye envy.

If you were here, I’d give you one lol. It was all my son and I could do to finish one of them lol. The second is in the fridge because I love leftovers:-)

11 hours ago, len440 said:

I guess this answers Clara Pellers question "WHERES THE BEEF?" Nice steaks I agree with the Bear why buy bone when you can buy more steak. 

My son wanted to do some tomahawks, and we ended up with cowboys. Saved some dough on the bone, and they tasted fantastic. Had leftovers today lol

For a massive steak like that or a rib roast try cutting the bone off leaving an inch or so of meat on the bone.  Cook the steak [or roast] boneless.   Freeze these bones for later.  Those bones with a generous amount of meat make for great short ribs another day.  The tender meat cooks in about half the time regular short ribs take.  Two dinners out of one chunk of meat.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2021 at 5:07 PM, Polar Bear said:

Never understood the idea of tomahawk steaks. All that extra bone is weight you end up paying for that adds nothing to the final product

Why do you think restaurants love them? B)