Curried Carrot Ginger Soup

Had a few bags of leftover large carrots from the holiday that we didn't use (as we were put on lockdown) so decided to make some soup.  I omitted pictures as it's pretty straightforward and looks similar to other carrot soups out there but the taste is perfect on a cold winter's eve.  Serve with bread, na'an, rice or just have on it's own.  I use a large wok for this, as it makes a lot (6-8 servings).  Caution - it's got some spice.  Our kids won't eat it but the wife and I lived in Asia so we got the hang of local 'Indian' and don't find it overpowering.

• 3lb carrots, chopped (~ 6 large)
  • 1 medium yellow onion, fine chop
  • ginger root, fine chop(about 2 tbsp worth)
  • 2 cloves garlic, fine chop
  • 2 tbsp each Butter and EVOO
  • 6 cups veg or chicken broth(I use chicken)
  • 3/4 tsp jeera(cumin seed)
  • 1 heaping tbsp coriander seed
  • 2 cloves
  • 1 pinch Persian or Spanish saffron threads (optional but recommended)
  • 1 whole green cardamom, cracked
  • 1/2 tbsp mild curry powder
  • 1 dried red kashmiri chili, seeded (or use 1/4 tsp kashmiri powder, hot paprika or similar, and 1/2 tsp smoked paprika)
  • 1/2 tsp each garam masala, tandoori powder, cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp kasoori methi (fenugreek)
  • 1 tbsp sour cream
  • 1/2 cup table cream (or more if you like)
  • Salt & pepper to taste

Toast cumin, coriander, clove and cardomom in dry pan for a few mins until lightly toasted
Grind in mortar and pestle, set aside
Peel & chop carrots, ginger, garlic and onion
Add 1/2 of butter/EVOO to wok or large dutch oven and fry onion, then add garlic/ginger after a few mins, stir, then spices from mortar/pestle+saffron threads and kashmiri chili and cook 5-8 mins (onion translucent but not browning)
Set aside and add the rest of butter/EVOO and carrots and light fry for about 10 mins until softening - add a bit of water to the pan to get the spices and prevent sticking, stirring often
Add back spice/onion mix to pan and give it a good stir - set in a cool spot to cool down(fridge, garage in winter etc...) - I do this overnight in garage to let flavors mellow
Puree carrot mix, fenugreek in blender and add broth as needed to make a thick soup
Add it back to wok/pan and add the rest of the broth to make a thickness to your liking(remember you're adding a touch of cream later)
Bring to simmer and add the rest of the spices (1/2 tsp mix), stir in well
Simmer soup for about 15-20 mins and then add dollop of sour cream, and table cream and stir well
Salt and pepper to taste
Stir and serve