Hi team

Looking for a bit of help from across the pond. I’ve been scouring google and this forum for info about sizes of half moon cooking surfaces that are available in the UK. I have a Char-Broil Kamander, which has served me nicely since August last year. I’ve been happily trying pizzas on a stone, roasting whole birds, low and slowing lamb and pork shoulders, roasting pork and beef joints etc.

My main grill diameter is 20 inches. The lower rack that holds my half moon deflectors or round drip pan rests in the walls on an 18 inch ring, with a ring allowing 13-15 inch surfaces sitting slightly lower to support them. 

I’m looking to expand my capability as the set up I have currently doesn’t work particularly well for any direct grilling - so far I’ve got hold of a 49.5cm half moon cast iron grill that sits at the main grill level, and a 46cm half moon cast iron grill that sits at the lower ring top level.

I’m looking for a half moon drip pan to sit under the main grill to protect my half moon deflector - probably 15 inches. Turns out these are hard to find at the best of times! The beat solution that is available that I’ve found seems to be the large BGE perforated half moon grid. BUT I can’t find the dimensions anywhere - anyone got one, and if so what’s the diameter?

I’m also looking for a plancha or griddle either 15 or 18 inches to try cooking some smash burgers on (never done, desperate to try!)? Thinking about the large BGE plancha again. Any current owners out there who can provide me with the dimensions?

Alternatively any other suggestions for the above?

I know the large BGE and Classic Joe share an 18 inch grill diameter but I can’t find anywhere what the diameter of the divide and conquer/eggspander systems are.

So I’m impatient and also overly confident in my research skills, so I just smashed through it and got a KJ Classic Joe half moon plancha/griddle which fits perfectly on the top level of the drip pan rack. Also ordered a 46.5cm cast iron half moon grate and a 49.5cm cast iron half moon grate from Ynni Kamado in the UK, which fits ok at the same level and main grill level respectively. Waiting for the half moon large BGE perforated grid pan which I will use as a half moon drip pan on top of the half deflector and then I’ll be set for a kind of two zone low direct and higher indirect cooking system. Quite pleased with myself really. Obviously I probably will mess up every cook I do on it from here on out. But still - got smashburgers pencilled in for Saturday and pork shoulder for Sunday so we will see how it goes...

205131D4-7188-4E03-AD21-65BAAC64E807.jpeg

Update 2: the large BGE half moon perforated grid pan fits perfectly on the 38cm half moon deflector plate and when foiled over will serve well as an indirect drip pan. So now I am complete. Seasoning grids now and will do try some smash burgers later. 

Hope this helps anyone else looking for accessories for the Kamander.

A5C3D5D7-8002-4EC0-8085-08B0BAB58515.jpeg

Edited by evilnim
Forgot photo
  • 4 weeks later...

Saw this post far too late! Grate (sorry) looking set up.

As a fellow Kamander owner I have done much of the same research as yourself!

I found this Char-Broil griddle for their Patio Bistro gas grill on Amazon warehouse for £10.96!!!

Its 38cm in diameter and fits perfectly on the spider/rack/thing :) 

Not yet used but will be smashing some burgers at some point soon.

20210212_150134.jpg

20210212_150217.jpg

Hi all, 

I can’t speak to the Kamander specifically, but I did find a site that sells woo-rings, spiders, ceramic plates, drip pans, grill grates, and “rigs” for Kamado style grills! I was looking for something, anything really that would upgrade my Louisiana grills 24 inch Kamado that I bought from Costco last year. 

This grill is a carbon copy of the Pit Boss Kamado and uses accessories interchangeably.

It’s a pretty good grill with tons of cooking surface with the dual/stacked grates, but with very little versatility due to the lack of a “divide and conquer” style system. The fire box is also a bit wobbly. Not too thrilled about that, but maybe that’s common. 

Found a woo-ring (made specifically for my grill) and A bunch of other accessories.

To be honest I still haven’t pulled the trigger and purchased anything yet, but I will next month once it’s in the budget. Hope this helps: check the link

https://ceramicgrillstore.com

On 2/14/2021 at 3:31 PM, Mikejonce said:

Hi all, 

I can’t speak to the Kamander specifically, but I did find a site that sells woo-rings, spiders, ceramic plates, drip pans, grill grates, and “rigs” for Kamado style grills! I was looking for something, anything really that would upgrade my Louisiana grills 24 inch Kamado that I bought from Costco last year. 

This grill is a carbon copy of the Pit Boss Kamado and uses accessories interchangeably.

It’s a pretty good grill with tons of cooking surface with the dual/stacked grates, but with very little versatility due to the lack of a “divide and conquer” style system. The fire box is also a bit wobbly. Not too thrilled about that, but maybe that’s common. 

Found a woo-ring (made specifically for my grill) and A bunch of other accessories.

To be honest I still haven’t pulled the trigger and purchased anything yet, but I will next month once it’s in the budget. Hope this helps: check the link

https://ceramicgrillstore.com

Thanks for this Mike. Afraid I’m based in the UK though so no good for me - but hopefully will help some other folk in the US with the same kind of issues

On 2/12/2021 at 3:15 PM, pittmab said:

Saw this post far too late! Grate (sorry) looking set up.

As a fellow Kamander owner I have done much of the same research as yourself!

I found this Char-Broil griddle for their Patio Bistro gas grill on Amazon warehouse for £10.96!!!

Its 38cm in diameter and fits perfectly on the spider/rack/thing :) 

Not yet used but will be smashing some burgers at some point soon.

20210212_150134.jpg

20210212_150217.jpg

That is an exceptional find! Looks like it’ll do incredibly well. Have made smashburgers twice now. The first time way too fat, the second time squashed enough but way too small. Third times a charm?

89A95510-817D-4244-B82A-B2D17E105543.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

:-o

@pittmab incredible! I’ve been eyeing a Joetisserie for a while! Had convinced myself it wouldn’t fit well though. Probably more because I’ve been shouted at for buying loads of grill surfaces though so justifying not buying a rotisserie. Hats off for pulling the trigger mate.

Can’t wait to hear about how well it works and see what you’ve cooked up - please keep me updated! I see another minor discussion with the mrs coming up soon because of this...

5 hours ago, len440 said:

Comments

1: Pittmab Nice find with the griddle looks like the box has been around the world once or twice 

2: Evilnim third time for smash burgers are not a charm just an excuse to have more burgers.

Agreed Len, agreed. They say man cannot live on burgers alone - I disagree

5 hours ago, len440 said:

Now we know why the chicken crossed the road. My second favorite kind of chicken, looks good how was it?

Was really good, juicy and succulent but could have done with another 10/15 mins to crisp up the skin a touch.