KJ Classic II Latch Not Functioning Properly

Hutch

When I got the KJ, the lid would close easily using one hand. As the catch on the lid hit against the latch, the latch would smoothly back out of the way until the lid was closed enough for the catch to hook under the latch.  But halfway through my first smoke, that quit working.  Now, the catch just bangs against the top of the latch, and the latch doesn't move.  So, I have to push the button on the latch until it's out of the way and then lower the lid before releasing the latch so that the lid will hook and stay closed.

Is there any adjustment for this, or should I contact Kamado Joe?  Any help would be much appreciated!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My issues I believe are ring expansion.  In the middle of my cook with $100 worth of meat I could not open it.  Allen wrench did not fix it, so I adjusted the dome bands.  It worked.  But I am noticing a developing dome alignment issues.  Same thing that I had with my Egg.  I am getting concerned.   

• 1 month later...

I have the same issue with the ring expansion... It latches perfectly but I cant open my lid easily, tried adjusting with the allen wrench but its still hard to open. Anyone suggestions?

On 10/3/2021 at 9:54 AM, Imran said:

I have the same issue with the ring expansion... It latches perfectly but I cant open my lid easily, tried adjusting with the allen wrench but its still hard to open. Anyone suggestions?

I got this, you're gonna get fixed up.

Had second malfunction while cooking, temps around 400.  I do my best thinking in an emergency, anyway, I ran to where I knew I had washers from my Big Green Egg that broke and took those and placed those washers behind the mount of the latch on the bottom.  And I am here to tell you it worked perfectly and still does.  I did not get burned and chicken came out perfect.  By golly I think I'm genius material now.

I have a hybrid Joe now, so am I disqualified from this forum?