The New Fireboard 2 Pro model is finally available for purchase!

I just looked, and as of today the Fireboard 2 Pro finally shows as available for purchase from the Fireboard.com website.  I actually went back to the site and checked again because I wasn't sure I read correctly the first time!  But it's true.  Here's a link:  Buy the Fireboard 2 Pro here

Unfortunately for me, while waiting for Fireboard to get the 2 Pro to market, a project came up that's been steadily gnawing away on my BBQ fund.  So I will hold off for the moment and learn a bit more about manual temperature control first.  However, I look forward to reading about the experiences of others, and buying as soon as I can.  Buy one and post away.

I was just having a look at this.  I am trying to decide if I want to buy one or not.  I am trying to understand if there is a real advantage to having temp probes that are capable of doing more than 500°F.  I wonder if the probes themselves are any more durable than the standard probes?  

https://www.fireboard.com/shop/type-k-ambient-probe/

I like this probe simply because it has the alligator clip on it already.  That makes it easy for me to attach it to the dome thermometer on my Kamado.  

The fact that these 'probes' are good to 1400°F is sorta negated by the spec on the probe wire only being good to 850°F.

Now... under what circumstances might I want to use probes at those temperatures?

Hmmmm... I can't really think of anything.  Temp accuracy is sorta moot when cooking pizzas at 750 or higher.  The dome thermometer will always be 'good enough' for that.  If I'm searing steaks over a screaming hot fire, the sear is just long enough to build a crust I like and then I'm finishing over indirect heat and checking temps with an instant read.  

What are my other advantages here?  

19 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

What are my other advantages here?

The one real advantage I can think of would be for people who ruin probes with too much heat. I actually came close to this last week. I had cooked dinner and opened both vents all the way to let the grill heat up and clean itself out while I carried dinner in to rest. As soon as I got in the door I was distracted by my wife needing something, then went from that to dinner being ready and waiting, completely forgetting to go close vents back down. Had mt temp probes been in the grill they probably would have been toast, by the time I walked out after eating the needle on the dome gauge was buried!

I bought one earlier today - been waiting for it since I lost my maverick in a house move.

for me the different k-type probes is a plus and their perceived reliability. I only need two food probes and have some other use cases outside of the grill.

can’t wait!

The K-probes are much more robust.  The FireBoard would be on my "buy" list if I did not already have a HeaterMeter (which uses a k-probe for the internal temperature).

Tom

Just placed my order.. I’m super forgetful and want to be able to leave the ambient probe in my ‘Keg’ even when I crank open the vents..

Outside temperature was 0 DegC when I was cooking pizzas tonight so I wasn’t hanging round the grill! - Will be worse next week when we get down to -20 DegC!!

I had my IGrill probe inbetween the pizza plate and diffuser so I could track the temperature inside whilst topping the pizzas.. Temperature hit 510 (F) before I knew it which would have been getting close to the maximum of the standard probes.

From my experience in the manufacturing industry, thermocouples can drift over time (rtd probes are preferred for most applications). But If there is an issue with the probe, $35 for a replacement every couple of years isn’t bad.

I just ordered my first Fireboard yesterday. I went with the Fireboard 2 Drive, not because of cost, but because of probe capacity. If I only had one grill I'd have probably gone with the pro, but with 2 Big Joes, the extra probe ports will come in handy, I think.

3 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

@deity6667 did you buy yours direct from Fireboard?  I am gonna get mine through Atlanta Grill Company.  They are supposed to have some this week hopefully.

Yes direct - purchased my Friday and delivered to New Zealand by Tuesday which is a pretty amazing turnaround!  Wish I had it yesterday for my beef short rib cook.

Same... Ordered direct from Fibreboard Saturday night, email confirmation with tracking details Monday morning, delivered Wednesday afternoon to Calgary, Canada!

2D91B8E8-5E8F-49B5-A8B6-2F8C450CD51C.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

So far I’ve done pork ribs, beef short ribs, whole chicken, spatchcock chicken and a pork butt all using the fireboard.

Worked flawlessly each time and very happy with purchase. A temperature management system is a must if you value time as much as I do.