I've been having fun with my wood pellet smoker ( Recteq RT-700 ) for 3 years now. I finally ordered a Kamado Joe Classic 3 this past Saturday. They'll make a great couple I think :)

I found this forum by luck and man! can't stop reading. Great contributions from many different people. Kudos to y'all. I am happy to find a source like this. Can't wait to get my KJ and the accessories, especially the Joetisserie. 

Happy grilling everyone. 

5 hours ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Welcome to our forum, Smokinoclock, glad to have you. I agree with you on the team of grills approach, I have a large BGE, A Traeger Timberline, and a Weber Summit 460 on my back deck. They all have their specific uses. 

Thank you keeperovdeflame. I can't wait to try and see the flavor difference between the charcoal vs. wood pellet. I read somewhere on the forum about the difference of smoke levels of KJ and wood pellets smokers. I always thought smoke as smoke, never thought the density making a significant difference on food. I was more after the taste difference of charcoal vs. wood. While still loving the wood smoke on what I ve been cooking, I always felt like something is missing somewhere in there within the food when using my pellet smoker. Maybe because I grew up with charcoal when it came to bbq/grilling.

What is you opinion on gas grills since you have one ? They are practical for sure. I guess I've always been kind of judgmental about grilling on gas. Anytime I had food cooked on one, I could taste the chemical/gas like flavored in the food, could possibly be that I associate anything grilled would have a taste of what you use as your fire source. 

I would also like to know how you like your Traeger so far ? More as a brand reliability and the quality. I had researched quite a bit before I got my Recteq. They've been superb at after purchase along with their 6 year warranty. Had a couple of minor problems and always been taken care of quickly along with free goodies like  their popular rubs. I see Traeger has tons of options while Recteq is limited with their selection of grills. I was at a Costco couple of weeks back and the salesperson tried to sell me one and showed me a mini portable Traeger because the current Recteq I have is huge. It takes quite a bit time to heat it up and you don't want that when you only want to have a steak for two quickly. Don't even mention the amount of fuel wasted when you need something quick. Anyways, I passed on it for the moment but thought afterwards that would be great to have something portable to get some quick grilling going.

4 hours ago, len440 said:

Smokin  welcome  Have you read this? There is a learning curve from a pellet to the kamado, but not too hard. Keep us posted.

Started reading it just yesterday. Thank you for sharing. Great source. Appreciate all the work put into this. 

Smokin you posted this

Thank you keeperovdeflame. I can't wait to try and see the flavor difference between the charcoal vs. wood pellet. I read somewhere on the forum about the difference of smoke levels of KJ and wood pellets smokers. I always thought smoke as smoke, never thought the density making a significant difference on food. I was more after the taste difference of charcoal vs. wood. While still loving the wood smoke on what I've been cooking, I always felt like something is missing somewhere in there within the food when using my pellet smoker. Maybe because I grew up with charcoal when it came to bbq/grilling.

What is you opinion on gas grills since you have one ? They are practical for sure. I guess I've always been kind of judgmental about grilling on gas. Anytime I had food cooked on one, I could taste the chemical/gas like flavored in the food, could possibly be that I associate anything grilled would have a taste of what you use as your fire source

I have  a few  thoughts There more than likely will be a different taste between wood and charcoal and their is a difference between charcoal brands. I also grew up on charcoal and had a little learning curve this was the first grill i used with the top closed, this caused an increase in smoke flavor in chicken (we're  not big smoked poultry fans) This was cured by going to a different brand of charcoal, or leaving the dome open. Funny the Royal Oak was too strong for chicken but great for pizza. I think the flavor from the gas grill is from the lack of any smoke or natural by products of burning, I'm sure there is a scientific reason for this. Hope these ramblings make sense.

Welcome to the forum! As others have stated I think the combination of a pellet grill and a Kamado grill allows you to cook about anything. I have a KJ Big Joe, Traeger Timberline 1300, Akron Jr. and an Camp Chef 600 griddle. They all get used regularly. 

23 hours ago, smokinoclock said:

What is you opinion on gas grills since you have one ? They are practical for sure. I guess I've always been kind of judgmental about grilling on gas.

I would also like to know how you like your Traeger so far ? More as a brand reliability and the quality. 

I really like my gas Weber, and use it very much like an outdoor stove top. I load it up with cast iron pans and cook wear to do sides, appetizers, quick fish and other fast  cooks, and such. Years back I did a post called a tale of two steaks where I cooked pretty much identical Rib Eyes on both my Green Egg and the Weber. We had some friends over so I took the opportunity and did a blind taste test. Bottom line They thought both steaks were excellent, probably because I used the  exact same approach, seasoning, and pulled them both somewhere around 122f. They did however, say that while they liked both steaks, somthing earthy, smokey, made them pick the Egg steak. When I want to do over the top steaks for a dinner or special occasion or use an expensive cut, I always use the Egg. Because of it's ease of use and versatility I will always keep the gasser, it is just a humble work horse. 

So far I really love my Traeger. I have the Traeger Timberline 850, which has a number of features which set it apart from other pellet grills. For example, the entire cooking area is double walled with stainless on the in side. Also there is a unique venting system along the back of the grill. Both of these features make the grill perform really well in colder, windy situations without the need for any additional insulation. It also has WiFi, and I can control the grill from my phone. Some of the WiFi capabilities  are really cool with a "BigBrother" undertone. I had a slight issue with the grill overshooting my target temp when I first got it. I called the main office in Utah for some insight. The guy I spoke to said oh yeah, I can see here you cooked 7 times so far, as he rattled off what time of day I cooked and for how long each time, taking note that the grill did over shoot. Wow, that was a shocker, I new folks watch what I do using my phone, but my BBQ grill, I had no idea. Anyway after I got over the shock of the observation, I began to think it was pretty cool, as the Traeger Tech, used the info to fine tune my grill with a couple up dates over the phone. Since then the grill works perfectly. John Setzler calls pellet grills the microwave of the BBQ world, and I think he is right. Great results, and pretty much set it and forget it. I  am going to try my first Tri Tip on the Traeger tomorrow,  probably while it is snowing outside.  I am going to do some cowboy beans with white, and pinto beans, pico, and green chiles. I'l post the results so you can follow along if you wish. Happy cooking.

5 hours ago, keeperovdeflame said:

I really like my gas Weber, and use it very much like an outdoor stove top. I load it up with cast iron pans and cook wear to do sides, appetizers, quick fish and other fast  cooks, and such. Years back I did a post called a tale of two steaks where I cooked pretty much identical Rib Eyes on both my Green Egg and the Weber. We had some friends over so I took the opportunity and did a blind taste test. Bottom line They thought both steaks were excellent, probably because I used the  exact same approach, seasoning, and pulled them both somewhere around 122f. They did however, say that while they liked both steaks, somthing earthy, smokey, made them pick the Egg steak. When I want to do over the top steaks for a dinner or special occasion or use an expensive cut, I always use the Egg. Because of it's ease of use and versatility I will always keep the gasser, it is just a humble work horse. 

So far I really love my Traeger. I have the Traeger Timberline 850, which has a number of features which set it apart from other pellet grills. For example, the entire cooking area is double walled with stainless on the in side. Also there is a unique venting system along the back of the grill. Both of these features make the grill perform really well in colder, windy situations without the need for any additional insulation. It also has WiFi, and I can control the grill from my phone. Some of the WiFi capabilities  are really cool with a "BigBrother" undertone. I had a slight issue with the grill overshooting my target temp when I first got it. I called the main office in Utah for some insight. The guy I spoke to said oh yeah, I can see here you cooked 7 times so far, as he rattled off what time of day I cooked and for how long each time, taking note that the grill did over shoot. Wow, that was a shocker, I new folks watch what I do using my phone, but my BBQ grill, I had no idea. Anyway after I got over the shock of the observation, I began to think it was pretty cool, as the Traeger Tech, used the info to fine tune my grill with a couple up dates over the phone. Since then the grill works perfectly. John Setzler calls pellet grills the microwave of the BBQ world, and I think he is right. Great results, and pretty much set it and forget it. I  am going to try my first Tri Tip on the Traeger tomorrow,  probably while it is snowing outside.  I am going to do some cowboy beans with white, and pinto beans, pico, and green chiles. I'l post the results so you can follow along if you wish. Happy cooking.

Never thought of a gas grill this way as you did. And it makes sense. Great information on Traeger. I never heard of this BigBrother feature they had :) It is cool as long as they are helpful. I had similar issue like you had with the temps and one of the two Recteq owners ( yes, you have the owners direct line as a customer ) were very helpful to get things fixed up for me even though they didn't have all that remote control kind of feature. Wait...Maybe they all do but just don't mention it ?? haha.

I agree with John Setzler, anything I threw at mine turned out great so far. I use stainless steel grate on the left side and 3 sear plates on the right. Great sear marks on steaks even though it is indirect heat. 

Sounds like you'll have lots of fun waiting for you tomorrow. I am waiting on my KJ to arrive something next week to start experimenting. Then I might challenge you one day :) 

9 hours ago, retfr8flyr said:

Welcome to the forum! As others have stated I think the combination of a pellet grill and a Kamado grill allows you to cook about anything. I have a KJ Big Joe, Traeger Timberline 1300, Akron Jr. and an Camp Chef 600 griddle. They all get used regularly. 

I guess grills for men are like handbags/purses for women. It is never enough. :) I found myself looking at this Tandoor type grills right after hitting some YouTube videos. And I just ordered a KJ.