Is the Sloroller worth it?

Greetings Everyone!

I have a Big Joe I and have been recently looking at purchasing the sloroller but i have read a lot of mixed reviews from "there is a huge difference in taste and bark" to "There is no difference or not enough difference for it to be worth it"

I wanted to ask the community for their input.  Do you have the sloroller, and if so is it worth it for the cost or do the heat deflectors do just as good of a job?

The main downside is cleaning it, if you care to clean it. You can't burn off all the grease like you can with the ceramic heat deflectors. Anything over 500 with the slo roller and you'll warp it.

Mine is gunky enough that the pieces stick together when it's cold, more so when it's below freezing outside. I have a 16" diameter drip pan that is just bit smaller than the top disk of the sloroller, and that still doesn't stop all the grease buildup.

I have cooked with and without it, and frankly can't tell the difference. The only reason I use it is because it came with my grills. I wouldn't buy one.

I'd only consider purchasing one if my ceramic heat deflectors were broken and not able to be replaced under warranty 

I still probably wouldn't go that way though as the use case for the SloRoller is fairly limited when compared to the ceramic deflectors 

I've cooked on a Classic 3 a number of times and I don't believe the SloRoller makes enough of a difference to justify the purchase (that having been said, i dont believe anything about the classic 3 justifies the purchase price)

On 1/27/2021 at 2:55 PM, Polar Bear said:

i dont believe anything about the classic 3 justifies the purchase price

I disagree.  The Classic III has multiple enhancements.  And if you see value in them, it might be worth it to you too.

One of my concerns about the the previous model KJ's was, that for many cooks, the food on the grill would definitely be too close to the coals.  KJ clearly designed the Classic III and BJ III with a longer waist, including the ability to have notably more distance from the coals to the grill.  There is no question that this can help for low and slows, multiple level Divide & Conquer rack cooks for various temp profiles and simply to have more usable cooking surface area, as well as for the Slo-Roller smoke and heat air-flow routing setup.

As for the Slo-Roller, the design should cause more rising smoke to swirl and flow towards the center of the low pressure area above the top plate, hopefully resulting in more even heating and a more diffuse and even deposit of smoke particles on your food.   And given the design of the Slo-Roller apparatus as a whole, and my investment therein, I certainly expect that it performs better than the baffle of a heat deflector alone.

As for the ultimate point, does the Slo-Roller, as one more tool in your arsenal, help make for a better end result?  I haven't done enough non slo-roller cooks yet to know.  The true answer will take the collective wisdom and results of users who are willing to concurrently run multiple A/B tests (identical setups, with and without the Slo-Roller) to find out.

Meantime, this much I know for sure.  My KJ III Classic with the Slo-Roller does a much better job of producing a consistent and delicious end result than any previous grill I've ever used.

Slo-Roller video link

The KJ Pro /w Slo-Roller as originally developed by Desora (the Harvard Spinoff)

I like the sloroller but I dont use it for smoking, i prefer the heat deflectors for that. I do use it for roasting chicken, and baking. I feel like its a better convection oven then it is smoker accessory.  It definitely makes a difference (from my experience it has) for baking and chicken/turkey roasts

On 1/30/2021 at 12:54 AM, Dogstar said:

I disagree.  The Classic III has multiple enhancements.  And if you see value in them, it might be worth it to you too.

One of my concerns about the the previous model KJ's was, that for many cooks, the food on the grill would definitely be too close to the coals.  KJ clearly designed the Classic III and BJ III with a longer waist, including the ability to have notably more distance from the coals to the grill.  There is no question that this can help for low and slows, multiple level Divide & Conquer rack cooks for various temp profiles and simply to have more usable cooking surface area, as well as for the Slo-Roller smoke and heat air-flow routing setup.

As for the Slo-Roller, the design should cause more rising smoke to swirl and flow towards the center of the low pressure area above the top plate, hopefully resulting in more even heating and a more diffuse and even deposit of smoke particles on your food.   And given the design of the Slo-Roller apparatus as a whole, and my investment therein, I certainly expect that it performs better than the baffle of a heat deflector alone.

As for the ultimate point, does the Slo-Roller, as one more tool in your arsenal, help make for a better end result?  I haven't done enough non slo-roller cooks yet to know.  The true answer will take the collective wisdom and results of users who are willing to concurrently run multiple A/B tests (identical setups, with and without the Slo-Roller) to find out.

Meantime, this much I know for sure.  My KJ III Classic with the Slo-Roller does a much better job of producing a consistent and delicious end result than any previous grill I've ever used.

Slo-Roller video link

The KJ Pro /w Slo-Roller as originally developed by Desora (the Harvard Spinoff)

Cool Story, bro 

I'm basing my opinion off multiple cooks on a Big Joe 3 and many, many cooks on a Big Joe 2 

I'm in an a position where I own a BJ2 and my father recently purchased a BJ3 

Is the new model superior?
Sure... i guess?

Is it worth the $1000 price increase (in Australian dollars) over the series 2?

Nope

The ash basket that is included in the grill is the only real bonus over what you got in the Series 2

The SloRoller sounds great if you read the marketing material, but in the dozen or so cooks i've done, the difference is minimal and, from what I've seen, the personal experience of people who own one is heavily influenced by the fact that they already own one

Distance from the coals have never been an issue in the 70 years kamado cooking has been mainstream. I'm not entirely sure what you thought the issue was that was solved by lifting the top DnC rack a further 2 inches from the fire for LnS cooks?

You dont get 3 useable levels of cooking. You get the standard 2 for DnC grilling OR 1 for low and slow. 

You can achieve the same thing using an extender rack (which also would solve the distance issue you seem concerned about). Also, if you're using the DnC, your food is actually closer to the fire than it would be in a series 2...

As noted, this is my opinion based on my experience but i'm yet to find many people who have sold their Series 2 specifically to buy a Series 3 and been 100% happy with the decision when they really sit down and think about it  

First off, in my case we're talking about a Kamado Joe Classic III, not a BJ III.  Here in the States, the difference I paid, in US dollars, was about $470 delivered.

For the monetary difference between the BJ II and BJ III, you're pretty clear that you don't think it's worth it, and maybe for pretty much anyone else also.  I do feel differently, but then I do buy my cars pretty well "loaded" too, even though the value car, or last year's model, is probably way less expensive.

I'm not sure how the KJ's come packaged when shipped "down under", but the differences here for the Classic III I bought over the Classic II were the following: The improved charcoal ash setup (ash basket), the heavier duty cart, the D&C three level grill, the aluminum side shelves (no longer plastic), the Slo-Roller, the longer waisted design, and perhaps most important, the structural and airflow engineering design improvements by Harvard trained engineers and students - in my experience - generally a pretty bright group of people.  One of those videos I included above, listed the number of simulations they ran to help optimize the design, in addition to other techniques.  Seemed like thorough process to me and I do value the results.  So all in all, I did think the Classic III was a reasonably priced upgrade over the Classic II.

I, too, have done a lot of cooks since buying my Classic III.  Most with the Slo-Roller in place, but a number without as well.  While it's clear that not every cut of meat, nor every recipe, lends itself for use with the Slo-Roller.  However, I do note that when cooking with the Slo-Roller foods come off the grill more evenly cooked throughout (minimal heat differences), and when slicing and tasting, the bark and smoke ring are more evenly disbursed, both of which are nice changes when the Slo-Roller is used.

The statement that "the personal experience of people who own one is heavily influenced by the fact that they already own one."  I would suggest that most people are reasonably intelligent, weigh their options, and purchase the product they want.  And yes, they're probably happy about it.  I seriously doubt it's a conspiracy to avoid mentioning "the truth" as perceived by others.

I also have not paid any serious attention to people changing KJ II's for KJ III's, or vice versa, though I think I've read of a few who upgraded or purchased an additional grill, on KamadoGuru.

As for me, if I had just bought some perfectly serviceable item within the last few years, I probably wouldn't be replacing it either, unless I simply had no choice.  Even though i might covet the newer model, I'm not the type to upgrade until I have a good usability reason, such as it broke or became obsolete or other practical reason.  In that circumstance, I might well be a candidate to purchase the Slo-Roller that's available for the Classic II. 

"Distance from the coals have never been an issue in the 70 years kamado cooking has been mainstream."  Seriously?  If that statement were correct, no one would ever use a different grill height for any food cook.  Obviously it impacts the cook.  Also, the disparate temperature streams of air rising off and between the charcoal will blend as they rise.  Using the Slo-Roller will help with that.

Anyway, I'm quite happy with my Classic III, including the Slo-Roller.

56 minutes ago, Dogstar said:

Anyway, I'm quite happy with my Classic III, including the Slo-Roller.

And THAT is what's most important.  I cook for fun and if the fun means I get to play with some gadgets along the way that makes me even happier and that is 'worth' it too.  

Glad you're happy doggie.  I am too...although I am Jonesing for something on the kamado!