Walmart clone of the AKORN Kamado

sunraw

23 hours ago, Grill_Boy said:

Hmmmm I'd rather pay a 'few' dollars more for the Akorn - looks very much like infringement -

I agree. Although I am not overly thrilled with Char Griller's warranty service I wouldn't trust an unknown brand to be any better. 

• 3 months later...

Well, I just bought a Brand-Man Rodeo Kamado grill from Walmart online.  $247 with free delivery. 

Took me 3+ hours to assemble though!  (I put thread-lock on every bolt.)  Nice quality--and from the design, it must be from the same factory as the Akorn.  Looks like some of the same issues (seals are kind of leaky, it appears....), but with the same solutions! 

I seasoned the grill in the oven (since it was pouring rain last night), and probably won't get to use it until Friday (it's now Wednesday). 

I plan on putting Nomex felt around the bottom vent, and probably bending (to tighten) the ash-pan-clasps.

Rodeo-Reshoot4-scaled-e1603137447438.jpg

On 1/28/2021 at 12:21 PM, Grill_Boy said:

Hmmmm I'd rather pay a 'few' dollars more for the Akorn - looks very much like infringement -

I very much doubt Walmart would sell a knockoff of a big company like Char-Griller.  From the quality of the thing, I suspect Char-Griller's factory built it for Brand-Man under license to widen their line.

12 minutes ago, AnalogLife said:

I very much doubt Walmart would sell a knockoff of a big company like Char-Griller.  From the quality of the thing, I suspect Char-Griller's factory built it for Brand-Man under license to widen their line.

Well, I just asked Char-Griller about this:  They do not manufacture the Brand-Man Rodeo, and Brand-Man does not pay them a license fee. Hmmmm......

Once you move your manufacturing to China you are almost guaranteed that the design will be stolen and reproduced under another brand. The chinese have been doing this for decades. Everything on Alibaba is designs stolen from another manufacturer and reproduced. 

1 minute ago, SPD500 said:

Once you move your manufacturing to China you are almost guaranteed that the design will be stolen and reproduced under another brand. The chinese have been doing this for decades. Everything on Alibaba is designs stolen from another manufacturer and reproduced. 

Of course the only reason the Akorn is as inexpensive as it is....is because it's made in China, so that's Char-Griller's choice.  I'm surprised though, that Walmart would risk selling a knock-off.  The leg-and-cart system is totally different than any Akorn, so maybe it's different enough not to infringe on Char-Griller's patents.  Who knows?  If Brand-Man's Rodeo sticks around, I guess we'll find out.  I'm happy though I can use the knowledge and experience gained on the Akorn with my Rodeo.