Walmart clone of the AKORN Kamado

sunraw

• 11 months later...

I purchased a Walmart Expert Grill Kamado for $267 a month ago.  It appears very similar to the Rodeo.   I had not heard or the Rodeo before this forum, and was using articles about the Akorn as a reference.  This is an outstanding bargain for the price - especially if you want to stick your toe in Kamado water without paying ceramic prices.  I did buy an Inkbird Wi-Fi/Bluetooth ISC-007BW air flow controller for $180 on Amazon to go with it.  I smoked a brisket for 16 hours without ever lifting the lid, and still had plenty of charcoal when I was done.  The Inkbird came with an adapter that fit into the lower vent. 

I do recommend getting BBQ gasket/nomex sealer to put around the ashcan to better control the seal.  On my first smoke (without the Inkbird or extra gasket sealing) I had both the top and bottom vents all but closed and still could not keep the temp below 250.  Sealing the ashcan and any gaps around the lower vent  - and using the Inkbird =  let me keep temps at 235-250 for hours without touching anything. 

The Char-Griller 6201 Smoking Stone fits perfectly - or you can simply use the grate from an 18"Weber with a drip pan for indirect heat.  I've not done any high temps for searing or pizza yet, as I really purchased this for low and slow BBQ.    Lots of grill space, and the extra rack that fits atop the main cast-iron grate let me smoke five racks of ribs and tons of sausage at once.

Many Akorn reviewers recommended a good cover, as there is a tendancy for bad rust/corrosion on the legs if left to the weather. I purchased a Jiesuo 48 Inch Grill Cover for Weber Spirit and Spirit II 210 from Amazon and it covers it, albeit a little oversized. I have two other Jiesuo covers for my gas and charcoal Webers, and they are value for money. 

Bottom line, the is a VERY INEXPENSIVE way to break into Kamado cooking.   I may trade up someday, but for right now, I am very pleased with this product.

Edited by NOVA BBQ Fan
Typo

On 8/5/2022 at 4:53 PM, NOVA BBQ Fan said:

I purchased a Walmart Expert Grill Kamado for $267 a month ago.  It appears very similar to the Rodeo.   I had not heard or the Rodeo before this forum, and was using articles about the Akorn as a reference.  This is an outstanding bargain for the price - especially if you want to stick your toe in Kamado water without paying ceramic prices.  I did buy an Inkbird Wi-Fi/Bluetooth ISC-007BW air flow controller for $180 on Amazon to go with it.  I smoked a brisket for 16 hours without ever lifting the lid, and still had plenty of charcoal when I was done.  The Inkbird came with an adapter that fit into the lower vent. 

I do recommend getting BBQ gasket/nomex sealer to put around the ashcan to better control the seal.  On my first smoke (without the Inkbird or extra gasket sealing) I had both the top and bottom vents all but closed and still could not keep the temp below 250.  Sealing the ashcan and any gaps around the lower vent  - and using the Inkbird =  let me keep temps at 235-250 for hours without touching anything. 

The Char-Griller 6201 Smoking Stone fits perfectly - or you can simply use the grate from an 18"Weber with a drip pan for indirect heat.  I've not done any high temps for searing or pizza yet, as I really purchased this for low and slow BBQ.    Lots of grill space, and the extra rack that fits atop the main cast-iron grate let me smoke five racks of ribs and tons of sausage at once.

Many Akorn reviewers recommended a good cover, as there is a tendancy for bad rust/corrosion on the legs if left to the weather. I purchased a Jiesuo 48 Inch Grill Cover for Weber Spirit and Spirit II 210 from Amazon and it covers it, albeit a little oversized. I have two other Jiesuo covers for my gas and charcoal Webers, and they are value for money. 

Bottom line, the is a VERY INEXPENSIVE way to break into Kamado cooking.   I may trade up someday, but for right now, I am very pleased with this product.

I just bought the Expert Grill Kamado (and joined the forum) as well - I was looking at getting an Akorn but in my area the EGK was on sale for $197 and I couldn't turn down that deal. The cart and tables are very sturdy, although you can't fold the tables as it appears you can on the Akorn. Just a couple screws to pop them out if needed, though.

Thanks to your post I think I'll be getting some Nomex sealer. I was able to get mine down to 225-235 for a few hours with the vents almost closed, but it was very slowly climbing throughout the cook and after taking my baby backs off after about three hours it just kept going. I got the Inkbird Wifi/Bluetooth thermometer but didn't know they made a fan controller - might have to try that next.

I've done pizza as well and it was awesome for that! I did find that using the Chargriller indirect stone and pizza stone in conjunction worked well, although on mine I had to build up the "tabs" on the indirect stone with aluminum foil to keep it from slipping. One difference with this cooker from the Akorn is that the charcoal bowl doesn't have the three metal shelves for the indirect stone - there is a thin lip that will just about hold it up but I've already had it fall in during a cook, hence the aluminum foil. 

Finally, I got the cover that Expert Grill sells for this and it was less than $30, I think. It seems really nice for the price - looks like a ripstop fabric with vents to allow moisture to escape and buckle to tighten it up under the shelves.

I'm right there with you on the overall value - it's huge, and maybe someday I'll step up to a ceramic if I use this one enough, but for now, it's everything I need. I will likely keep one of these or an Akorn around either way, as I can take this camping and easily cook for 10+ people. Can't travel very easily with a ceramic this size.