Tracks in the snow, What are they from?

keeperovdeflame

Been snowed in for about 4 days with not much movement at all in the neighborhood. Critters must feel comfortable.  Found these tracks in the snow on the patio right outside our bedroom door. Looks bigger than a bobcat to me, you guys think maybe a mountain lion?

There is a drop of blood at the bottom of this one, with some discoloration on the foot pad. 

IMG_1641.thumb.jpeg.43084f058bd04c17847a4ff292690d57.jpeg 

IMG_1642.thumb.jpeg.48ef716859a79a9a2aa54f7b15559590.jpeg

I think you're right. The only other candidates would be bobcats or lynx, but i'm guessing you dont have the latter in AZ, and the former would be a little bigger than a house cat. Pretty cool to see, but looks like he's got a bum pad.

I would say they could be cougar tracks based on the measuring tape, but it could still be a bobcat track that has expanded if the temperatures are warm enough that the snow is melting.  It's surprising how much bigger a track can become without looking distorted

Yeah, I am thinking it,s probably a bob cat, because even though the tracks look big, in the snow, the stride length does not look

long enough for a large animal. Add that fact to a bob cat sighting last Saturday, could be one moved into the area

My wife is a riding instructor and most of her clients have access to trails in the hills above Carmel Valley.  She got a text from one last week "Do bobcats have long tails?"  That was about something her client saw on a trail ride. 

12 hours ago, daninpd said:

My wife is a riding instructor and most of her clients have access to trails in the hills above Carmel Valley.  She got a text from one last week "Do bobcats have long tails?"  That was about something her client saw on a trail ride. 

Yeah, I have seen a few of those "Long Tailed" Bob Cats myself. Nothing out there has a straight tail sticking out the back as thick as an anchor rope, but a cougar. Although down in Southern Az they actually have, I believe, two Jaguars that have four legs, they actually have hundreds of the four wheeled kind.:)