Should I use the diffuser plates for pizza stone?

Random Pointer

I saw pictures of pizza stone on KJ, and I noticed that a lot of them use a heat diffuser, and then set the pizza stone on top of it.

Why is that? The pizza stone should be able to absorb the heat, shouldn't it? I used a pizza stone as a diffuser in the past.

If I don't use the heat diffuser will it make the pizza stone too hot?

You might make it too hot and/or create hot spots on the stone. You'll get more even heat on the stone with the heat deflectors in place. Here's how I do it:

heat deflectors

air gap
pizza stone

@John Setzler recommended three 1" NPT iron pipe fittings for the air gap, and that works perfectly. I also use them to air gap my drip pan to keep the drippings from burning up. Here are the ones I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058PS2J8

I have also heard of others just using some aluminum foil balls, but the pipe fittings are cheap enough and reusable.

On 1/30/2021 at 6:26 PM, Random Pointer said:

... put the defectors on the x ring, and put the pizza stone on the grate?

and put the pizza stone on the extension grate, so it's even higher, for better top browning. 

On 1/30/2021 at 1:05 PM, Random Pointer said:

I saw pictures of pizza stone on KJ, and I noticed that a lot of them use a heat diffuser, and then set the pizza stone on top of it.

Even the  Kamado Joe's own DoJoe pizza oven uses the diffusers to even out the heat on the pizza stone. Check out KJ's video about the Dojoe. The diffusers mount separately on their pizza oven adapter, maybe 0.5" beneath the pizza stone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccq-UYkJ4As

7 hours ago, Random Pointer said:

I gave it a try yesterday with a take and bake pizzas. They were good, and the crusts were perfect.

Nice. I have been meaning to try take & bake on mine.

Those were Papa Murphy's pizzas. I could not take it out from the paper plate while it was raw, so I baked it with the paper plate on top of the pizza stone. After it was almost done, I could slide the pizza out from the paper plate, and let the pizza stone crisp the crust. 

Big fan of the Papa Murphys on the KJ when you don't have time/forethought to start from scratch.  I use the deflector set up with 1" gap as mentioned above and shoot for ~550.  If you don't want to cook on the paper plate, try this. Place a cookie sheet or second peel (something bigger than the pizza) on top of the pizza.  Flip the pizza and sheet/peel over making sure to hold them together securely.   Cut open saran wrap and carefully lift off paper plate.  Sprinkle bottom of pizza with corn meal or liberally flour your wooden peel.  Place peel on top (bottom) of pizza.  Flip the whole assembly over holding the cookie sheet and peel securely together.  Lift of cookie sheet.  Remove saran wrap.  Launch.  Cook for 6-8ish minutes depending on temp.  Enjoy.

What I've read for both store bought dough and take & bake pizzas, is to follow the instructions on the label. Papa Murphy's is meant to cook on the paper plate thing at a certain temp, so that's what I'd do, at least for my first time.

But, there's probably no harm in sliding the plate out partway through.