Dome temperature lower than the grate

Random Pointer

I calibrated the dome thermometer, and it is spot on.

I ran a dry test without any food. I just lit the fire, set the deflectors, set the vents and measure. I am able to hold the temperature. I do noticed that the dome temperature is 20F lower than the grate. If found it quite strange. It started about the same, and the temperature gap became wide.

I used FlameBoss thermometer on the grate.

Is this expected? 

I bet the grate probe is getting heat from the deflectors, while the dome probe is reading closer to air temperature. Put a probe in the exit vent for the hottest spot not near fire. All can be correct without agreeing. 

Frank

40 minutes ago, fbov said:

All can be correct without agreeing. 

Frank

Frank, you've done it again! Very nice! 

The other day I had my KJCII up to 430° with the deflectors and when I opened the grill to place the protein (chicken in a cast iron skillet) I lost over 150° and had to crank the vents and eventually remove the deflectors to get it back up to temperature. It was as if the fire had gone out while the top was open instead of running away. 

The deflectors were unnecessary for the cook, I couldn't remember, but I would have expected the grill to be able to recover the temperature relatively quickly even with them in a place. 

On 2/1/2021 at 12:26 PM, lnarngr said:

... I opened the grill to place the protein (chicken in a cast iron skillet) I lost over 150° ...

That's expected when adding a large mass of cold food near the probe. Patience is the first lesson. There's no problem as long as temperature starts to recover when you close it. You might not make 430F again before the food's ready. Food insensitivity is one reason I always use an exit vent probe.