Smoked wings burning on bottom....

SuffolkSmoker

So I have smoked wings twice recently.  Each time, a handful of the wings burn on the bottom while others around them remain unburned.  I am smoking at around 250-55 for 90 min.  Why is this?? They are not in direct fire, I am using the heat deflector...

So far, when cooking chicken wings we've used a rotisserie basket.  We start with them thawed, coat them with olive oil and seasoning, and then run them at 400 F for approx 50 - 60 min.  They roll in the basket, with no deflector, the entire time.  They have always come out nicely browned all around.  We have not tried cooking them straight on the grill yet.  Metal is a great conductor of heat.  I wonder if that might be at least part of the problem?

Do you turn and re-arrange your wings on the grill periodically?  Are you treating them with seasoning / oil or are they pre-seasoned or bare when cooking?

Great points.  I have been putting them directly on the grates.  I recently purchased grill mesh mats in hopes of keeping them off the direct metal (will also help them with not sticking).  We will see and I will let you know how it goes!

I will also add that the wings I have cooked so far have been small.  My first batch came out like jerky and had an internal temp off the smoker at 215...AHHHH! I am assuming they cook faster than a larger wing.  I am not sure if size as anything to do with some of them burning (I would think not).  Hell, I cooked a dozen small wings yesterday at 255 for 1 hr 15 min and they were already at an internal temp of 185.  I am hoping to find some bigger wings for this weekend since I am seeing it should take around 2 hrs. at 250 for them to come out just right.  It's just a learning process I suppose...

make sure the deflector plates are closed and no gaps also make sure they aren't on the grates past the deflector plates, these will put the wingys over the hot coals and could be the reason only some are burning. Just a guess and they look good

5 hours ago, len440 said:

make sure the deflector plates are closed and no gaps also make sure they aren't on the grates past the deflector plates, these will put the wingys over the hot coals and could be the reason only some are burning. Just a guess and they look good

this...

plus if sugar is in your rub, that is going to be a culprit depending on temps and gaps

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/3/2021 at 12:50 PM, Dogstar said:

So far, when cooking chicken wings we've used a rotisserie basket.  We start with them thawed, coat them with olive oil and seasoning, and then run them at 400 F for approx 50 - 60 min.  They roll in the basket, with no deflector, the entire time.  They have always come out nicely browned all around.  We have not tried cooking them straight on the grill yet.  Metal is a great conductor of heat.  I wonder if that might be at least part of the problem?

Do you turn and re-arrange your wings on the grill periodically?  Are you treating them with seasoning / oil or are they pre-seasoned or bare when cooking?

Dogstar, which basket are you using, and how many wings (total pieces) do you typically fit in it ?

8 hours ago, DevilDog0402 said:

Dogstar, which basket are you using, and how many wings (total pieces) do you typically fit in it ?

Hi DevilDog0402:  The Napoleon basket sold at many BBQ places.  I bought mine at Atlanta Grill Company.  As a size comparison, I checked the Internet for this info, but I'm not sure the following is fully accurate.

I've bought several different wing packages, but we like the Costco 3 pack of Organic Party Chicken Wings best so far, which we've used several times.  I think it's about 7 lbs worth total.  1st and 2nd chicken wing sections only.  Maybe 10 to 12 wings per pack. All 3 packs at one time will work, so that's approximately 30 - 36 wing sections.  The basket is getting reasonably full at that point, but all the wing pieces still come out nice and thoroughly browned all around, so they're still turning in the basket.

I've been thinking about raising the kamado temp right at the end of the cook to possibly get the wings just a bit more crispy, but they are very good as they are.  We have also tried another brand of battered wings.  They weren't bad, but both my wife and I liked the oiled and seasoned Costco organic wings version better.

I've also been trying out different seasonings and haven't settled on any particular one yet.

13 hours ago, Dogstar said:

Hi DevilDog0402:  The Napoleon basket sold at many BBQ places.  I bought mine at Atlanta Grill Company.  As a size comparison, I checked the Internet for this info, but I'm not sure the following is fully accurate.

I've bought several different wing packages, but we like the Costco 3 pack of Organic Party Chicken Wings best so far, which we've used several times.  I think it's about 7 lbs worth total.  1st and 2nd chicken wing sections only.  Maybe 10 to 12 wings per pack. All 3 packs at one time will work, so that's approximately 30 - 36 wing sections.  The basket is getting reasonably full at that point, but all the wing pieces still come out nice and thoroughly browned all around, so they're still turning in the basket.

I've been thinking about raising the kamado temp right at the end of the cook to possibly get the wings just a bit more crispy, but they are very good as they are.  We have also tried another brand of battered wings.  They weren't bad, but both my wife and I liked the oiled and seasoned Costco organic wings version better.

I've also been trying out different seasonings and haven't settled on any particular one yet.

Great!  That's the same one I just got.  Looking to try it out tonight.

I usually do about 5 lbs of wings (before cutting off the tip and cooking).  Wasn't sure if I'd be able fit them all.

Thanks for the feedback!