Pork butt (sort of 2

Hello All!

Yesterday I cooked what is called in Russia pork neck: pork shoulder I tried last time and it didn't go well, as there is very little marbling. This one looks more or less OK, BUT - there is no fat cap. And this was something that I think created issue of drying the bottom part. As this was the 2nd time I had the issue, I put a big stainless steel drip pan and filled it with water, which didn't evaporate as I added more water once or twice, but that didn't help either. I had the meat on the grill at 270 for 9 hours, untll the internal temp got to 200, wrapped after 4.5-5 hours, was spritzing both sides every 45 minutes after 2 hours. The meat all over turned out great, but the bottom parts were dry and tough. 

I would be very grateful for any advice how to make the whole piece tender.

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-04 at 21.13.05.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-04 at 21.13.05 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-04 at 21.13.05 (2).jpeg

Just looking at your pictures...

The result photo looks maybe overcooked and dry?  The uncooked picture also does not look like the typical cut we would use.  It could just be the pictures.  Can you confirm (I see your info says you are from Moscow), that the cut of pork you are roasting is the same cut of pork us North Americans are referring to?  Perhaps (if it is actually a different cut) it needs a different cooking procedure. 

Often I find it of 200 is not enough for probe tenderness.  If it's not probe tender let it keep cooking. If dry it's quite probable all the connective tissues didn't render.. I would ditch the water pan too. 

On 2/6/2021 at 3:50 AM, JeffieBoy said:

I always inject my pork shoulders with about 200-250 ml of Apple Juice spread evenly throughout.  For a cut like that (2.5kg?) i would typically aim for 250 degrees and 6 to 6.5 hours.  

Thank you Jeff! I did inject it with Apple juice this time. Do you inject and then apply rub? I did the opposite yesterday and the juice started to drip out of the meat washing away the rub...

I cooked this 2.5-3kg piece at 270 for 9 hours. The last cook I did yesterday was roughly 3 kg and I also cooked it for 9 hours at 250, but there were still dry pieces. I think the reason is that there is a mixture of "dark" and "white" meat in the cut that I found and the latter is always more tender and juicy than the dark one. Not sure if I should keep it on longer or it is the opposite and I dry them out. I tried to wrap the thing earlier this time too to keep the meat from becoming too dry (after 3-4 hours) but that didn't help

Thanks for reply! Yeah, it is definitely another cut, because I couldn't find the same here in Moscow. There is no fat cap on mine and probably the meat/fat ration is higher. There is also mixture of "dark" and "white" meat in the cut that I found and the latter is always more tender and juicy than the dark one. 

On 2/6/2021 at 7:59 AM, SmallBBQr said:

Just looking at your pictures...

The result photo looks maybe overcooked and dry?  The uncooked picture also does not look like the typical cut we would use.  It could just be the pictures.  Can you confirm (I see your info says you are from Moscow), that the cut of pork you are roasting is the same cut of pork us North Americans are referring to?  Perhaps (if it is actually a different cut) it needs a different cooking procedure. 

Yeah, it is definitely another cut, because I couldn't find the same here in Moscow. There is no fat cap on mine and probably the meat/fat ration is higher. There is also mixture of "dark" and "white" meat in the cut that I found and the latter is always more tender and juicy than the dark one. 

On 2/6/2021 at 4:55 PM, prowe said:

Often I find it of 200 is not enough for probe tenderness.  If it's not probe tender let it keep cooking. If dry it's quite probable all the connective tissues didn't render.. I would ditch the water pan too. 

Thanks! I will try it without the pan next time. I am afraid the meat will go even more dry if I keep cooking it? I tried to keep the meat on 250 and 270 degree for 9 hours, but ended up with the same problem - mixture of dry pieces and tender juicy ones... 

I usually will rub the meat first and let it sit for two or three hours.  Just as it’s about to go onto the heat I will inject it.  I find that several small injections at different depths will be better than a few larger ones.  Cheers,

On 2/10/2021 at 10:41 PM, JeffieBoy said:

I usually will rub the meat first and let it sit for two or three hours.  Just as it’s about to go onto the heat I will inject it.  I find that several small injections at different depths will be better than a few larger ones.  Cheers,

Great, thank you very much!

On 2/10/2021 at 6:29 PM, CentralTexBBQ said:

if it is only dry on the bottom, I would:

1. ensure my deflector plates are flush AND,
  2. rotate 1/4 turns throughout the cook. But, that's just me... :-D

forgot one other thing- if fat cap is a concern, bacon has been known to cover a multitude of sins...

:rofl:

Great tips, many thanks!)