Greetings from Finland

k0rbendallas1992

Hey guys,

I just bought a Kamado Joe Jr as my first Kamado grill. Really excited about it although premium charcoal seems to be really expensive here in Finland so I need to get that sorted out. I think I’ll manage. The seller provided me one bag of KJ XL charcoal for free.

Brief introduction: I’m a chill corporate guy working in IT and I have a wifey. Can’t wait to cook her some smokey ribs and rib-eye. My other passions are all kind of sports and gadgets.

Good to be here folks.

Welcome aboard.  I think charcoal is getting expensive everywhere of late.  Here in Canada, there has been a shortage during the pandemic and it’s been virtually impossible to find any until a month ago.  My last bag of Fogo cost me $35 CAD (233 Kr) and that was $8 less than store prices.  

8 hours ago, len440 said:

Welcome if you like gadgets than you'll like your kamado there is a learning curve but we'll help ya  

Here is some good reading

Thank you for pointing this out, I will most definitely check it out.

4 hours ago, JeffieBoy said:

Welcome aboard.  I think charcoal is getting expensive everywhere of late.  Here in Canada, there has been a shortage during the pandemic and it’s been virtually impossible to find any until a month ago.  My last bag of Fogo cost me $35 CAD (233 Kr) and that was $8 less than store prices.  

Sorry to hear this is the case for you also. One bag of KJ XL is around 30 EUR for a bag ($46 CAD). Might have to resort to some cheaper alternatives but will see.

Welcome! Which part of Finland are you from? If it is close to the border with Russia or you have good friends coming from there, you could try asking them to bring you some charcoal from here. It is called Black Buffalo and is made of quebracho wood, very good option. It costs here $25 for 10 kg bag. 

21 hours ago, Andrey said:

Welcome! Which part of Finland are you from? If it is close to the border with Russia or you have good friends coming from there, you could try asking them to bring you some charcoal from here. It is called Black Buffalo and is made of quebracho wood, very good option. It costs here $25 for 10 kg bag. 

Thanks for the tip. I’m from southwest so I’ll pass. I just found out about a finnish retailer where I can get quality hardwood lump charcoal for 14 EUR a 10 kg bag.

3 hours ago, chickenwings said:

"k0rbendallas"  Love the name...multipass...great movie.

Welcome - interested to hear about the Finnish spin on the Kamado!

Spectacular movie, can’t deny that.

I will keep you updated and will poat some pictures from my first cookout with the Joe. Thanks for making me feel welcome!

Welcome, glad to have you and your new Joe Junior with us. Never been to Finland myself, but had a friend who had a house there and spent  summers there. His pictures and stories about trips and such were beautiful. Enjoy your new grill and the forum conversation as well.

8 hours ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Welcome, glad to have you and your new Joe Junior with us. Never been to Finland myself, but had a friend who had a house there and spent  summers there. His pictures and stories about trips and such were beautiful. Enjoy your new grill and the forum conversation as well.

Thank you for your kind message. Hopw you will someday have the luxury to travel here. Hit me up and I’ll cook you something.

7 hours ago, euan2020 said:

love Finalnd/Helsinki - typically was stopping point on way to Latvia/Lithuania/Estonia + even Norway - booze cruises included 

Haha, that sounds a lot of fun. Booze cruises are a thing here, especially between the route from Finland to Sweden - been to many myself!

By the way, I’ve been looking at a pizza stone for my KJ Jr. Any suggestions? Could I pull of a 12” stone or should I settle with 10”? Any spesific brand or quality aspects I should take into consideration?

With all this self-isolation I find myself dreaming of and planning trips that I would like to do.  Just the other day I was looking at pricing and timing of the ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn, followed by a train to Riga.  

When Norwegian Airlines temporarily landed flights at a local airport, I jumped a cheap flight to Copenhagen for a week.  Loved it,  But my plans to take the train to Gothenburg fell through which still sits in my mind.  I really wanted to see where my camera was made.

Once this pandemic thing is under control, I will have plenty of ideas and plans for travelling Scandinavia yet again. 

• 2 months later...
On 2/16/2021 at 6:38 PM, JeffieBoy said:

With all this self-isolation I find myself dreaming of and planning trips that I would like to do.  Just the other day I was looking at pricing and timing of the ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn, followed by a train to Riga.  

When Norwegian Airlines temporarily landed flights at a local airport, I jumped a cheap flight to Copenhagen for a week.  Loved it,  But my plans to take the train to Gothenburg fell through which still sits in my mind.  I really wanted to see where my camera was made.

Once this pandemic thing is under control, I will have plenty of ideas and plans for travelling Scandinavia yet again. 

Before there was bridges we took ferry from Ebsjerg to Copenhagen to Helsingor - then separately y from Helsinborg to Stockholm - Train on the Ebsjerg to Copenhagen rolled on and off the ferries - great fun as a 13 year old back in 83 - also getting kicked out of the "Adult" shops in Copenhagen