Miyabi has arrived.

philpom

My kids got me a gift certificate for Sur la Table for my birthday. They said, "for a knife dad".  So I snagged this guy, it feels great, very light and nimble.  Now I need to cook something.

Something special about Japanese blades, just knowing someone put their heart and soul in to making it versus a highly automated process. 

20210213_150013.thumb.jpg.a4fcca32adda1d828bd40c968a2327ec.jpg

2 hours ago, byee said:

Very nice!

How do they compare to the Ziwillings Professional or 4 star series?

Thanks!

I am not an expert but experts claim no knife manufacturer matches the fit and finish of a Miyabi, every edge is rounded and polished except the cutting edge.  You cannot tell where the handle ends and the bolster starts. They are both fantastic knives and it really comes down to personal preference.  The 4 star is made from a single piece of their proprietary 57 hardness steel with the cutting edge machine sharpened at 15 degrees where the Miyabi has a cutting core made from FC61 super steel or VG10 steel wrapped in many layers of Damascus steel at a hardness of HRC 61 and is hand sharpened on a whetstone at 9.5 degrees.  The 4 star is a great functional knife, the Miyabi is a great functional piece of art.

Miyabi is owned by Zwilling.

Speaking as one who has also fallen deeply down the Japanese knife rabbit hole, I think you made a wise choice.  I love my Miyabi Birch chef's knife.  It really is one of my favorite knives.  The next "necessity" you'll find you just have to buy are expensive sharpening stones or a Wicked Edge sharpener.  :roll:

23 hours ago, Jack. said:

Speaking as one who has also fallen deeply down the Japanese knife rabbit hole, I think you made a wise choice.  I love my Miyabi Birch chef's knife.  It really is one of my favorite knives.  The next "necessity" you'll find you just have to buy are expensive sharpening stones or a Wicked Edge sharpener.  :roll:

We can talk about deep, when you start making your own!  I blame @ckreeffor starting me on this path!  https://www.instagram.com/p/CIWSLTgjQ6L/?igshid=1dmjgo2aw5m7g

9 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

While I have gotten infinitely better on my oil arkansas stones, I still am not comfortable putting my Shun's on them.

Yeah, I know. I have been going down the knife rabbit hole for a while. Bought some relatively inexpensive Japanese steel and needed to start sharpening. Ordered some 1000/3000 grit whetstones and a strop  from Amazon and dove in. Turned out not as daunting as it seemed. I'm still learning, but I have the tools to practice with. Just ordered a better quality knife now that I know more about steel, edge and  technique. I am sure there are more knives and stones in the future.